A friend just smashed their N95 against the wall...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewMacGirl, Feb 21, 2009.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

This is a true story, honestly..

So you think the iphone HAD software issues and bugs.

Well I know some one who was upgraded to a Nokia N95 a few months ago.

At first they loved it but that quickly changed..

Ever since they have had it he reported problems with it.
    Biggest critism was awful battery life. Second and almost equal was that it kept freezing and crashing.

My iphone WAS bad for battery life and it was buggy (well it still is a little buggy but mostly its fine). Battery life I find is wonderful.

However, Nokia don't seem to have been on top of it as apple and have not issued this guy any software updates (well if there were any he wasn't notified). Yes it does crash but not often.

Well, last week the frustration (by now he loathes the thing) got the better of him and he threw it as hard as he could against the wall and then stamped on it.

He says he is getting a simple pre paid phone but it will not be a Nokia.

It was pure rage as it had locked up on him again.

I promise promise promise this is a true story.

So count your blessing you have an iphone.

The grass isn't always greener you know...

( I use to own a Nokia 8210 and it was so so buggy- Nokia via Three did give me an exchange phone but that was just as bad- it was also awful to use anyway)

I love my iphone though.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I almost did that exact thing to my Dell laptop... and then I got a MacBook. :D

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I almost did the same thing with my MacBook Air on Thursday. I was ready to throw it like a discus, but I gave it to the War Department to hold while I cooled off. I'm glad I did b/c the Apple Store gave me a full-refund that afternoon on a MBAir that was seven months old...:cool:

4. jgunn macrumors regular

While I don't think you lying, I have a N95 and an Iphone and the N95 battery kills the iphone. I can go 4 or 5 days without having to charge.

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

I bought an N95 the day they came out .... thought it could be an amazing convergent device...... how i was wrong.

The OS is slow, buggy, inconsistent and a classic example of how to ruin a perfectly good, actually very powerful handset.

The damn thing has an accelerometer in it that no one knew about until about 9 months into the life of the device.

Each software update released by Nokia made the device worse not better and i finally threw the phone in a drawer and went back to my previous sony ericsson handset until iPhone 3g came out

6. Aurial macrumors 6502

Nokia are in fact very good at supporting their devices. There was a new firmware released for the N95 this month in fact. I believe they're now up to version 31.x.x.x

As someone else has said the battery life on the N95 was far far superior to the iPhone, although I remember it being quite poor when I first got mine and this was solved through firmware updates. It sounds to me like your friend has never updated theirs and has quite an early build.

Although I do love my iPhone (mainly for the web browsing experience) I still consider the N95 to be the best 'do it all' phone I've ever owned.

7. rednano74 macrumors member

Apple isn't always greener on the other side either. I had to toss my first gen shuffle in the trash after 8 months. Damn thing just died. My second gen iMac HD crashed a month after the 2 year warranty back then...how convenient? It cost me $225 to replace. I ended up getting a Gateway desktop with upgraded speakers and I do not regret it once...5 years later and still kicking without a problem. :p

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

He could've have just updated the firmware which was probably the source of his problems. My brother has the same phone (8GB version) and he's had no issues with it because its running the latest firmware

There are times i've wanted to smash my iPhone...especially during the 2.0.x days

9. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I would like to see pics of the phone all busted up.... :D

James

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That shuffle would've been under warranty - you didn't have to throw it away. The dead one would have been refurbished and sold to someone else - much more environmentally friendly...

11. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Why? Because you're using your iPhone everyday as opposed to your N95? Yea, that would make sense. I believe you. :D

12. EB66 macrumors 6502

did that with a sidekick before but i don't remember the reason :rolleyes:

13. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have pictures as we were too amazed to document what he had done. And he was not in a good mood so we all left him to get over it. He was seriously p%$#@ed off and didn't do it as a stunt to brag about. I am telling you this is true-why should I lie? I'm sure people smash things every day (yes including apple products)

I don't know whether he updated it or not but I do know he grew to hate it more and more until he smashed it.

I did have a nokia (not a N95 can't remeber what it was called it had a 2 and 0 in it) before my iphone and compared to apple I found them dreadful to deal with. The updates weren't well communicated- I had to go into my Three store and compalin about it before being told there was a new update and I was also given a replacement phone. It was still prone to crashing after all that.

When I finally motivated myself and complained again I was told sorry it's an obsolete model so I should get (for a fee) the next model.

It's OK having short life cycles but they use the excuse sorry, it's not supported you have to get our new model.

Nokia also has ALL the features you could wish for but they don't always all work. But on the box it says (for example) MP3 player so You go great until you get it home and it is a pig to use.

After my experience I would never get a Nokia again. Yes they are probaly the best of the other phone makers. They needed shaking up by apple as they were content to produce rubbish

14. OnceBitten macrumors member

So can i since i bought a new batt. for my iPhone.

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

It's easy to update a Nokia, install the PC Suite provided and click 'Update Phoen Software' boom! done!

I can imagine it though sometimes technology makes me angry, i have gone through a few mice. I nearly punched my macbook pro the other day, it's well annoying when you wake it up, it comes up then the screen goes black and doesn't respond for like 2 or 3 minutes and i was on the phone neededing a number from it.

16. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I did do the same thing to my PC desktop, then I got an iMac :D