a full price, unsubsidized verizon phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LapsangSouchong, Oct 26, 2011.

1. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Would work on AT&T? I've officially lost track.

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I believe they only sell AT&T iPhones at full price.

3. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

4. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Just checked verizon's website. They will begin selling unsubsidized ones Nov4. But will still require a data plan.

5. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

6. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Yeah, I wonder.... I'd be tempted to buy my unlocked iPhone from Verizon, since I intend to move my accounts there next year.

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I don't think that article is correct. I believe the Apple stores are only set up to unlock AT&T models sold at full-price. (In theory, they should be able to do this for any SKU, but I don't think they have programmed the point-of-sale system to do so, at least yet.)

I actually have first-hand experience with this, because I went to the closest Apple Store to me in order to buy an unlocked iPhone using the "Device Only" AT&T model trick. It turns out that I walked out the door having paid full-price for a *Verizon* phone, not an AT&T one...they grabbed the wrong model from the stock room! I didn't realize what had happened until I got home and looked at the receipt, which plainly said "Verizon" on it. I know the sales clerk rang it up as "Device Only" because I saw her do it, and I paid full-price, and they never asked me for any account information.

I tried putting my AT&T SIM in it, and it told me I couldn't activate the phone without a valid SIM.

I returned it the next day in exchange for an AT&T one. When I powered that one on, I was given the "Congratulations, you're unlocked" screen on iTunes. So paying full-price for the Verizon model did not work, but paying full-price for the AT&T one did.

-- Nathan