A fullsized keyboard with the feel of the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Erwan, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Erwan macrumors member

I had to opportunity to use my friend's MacBook Pro ( not the new ones, from last year) and loved the feel of the keyboard! I know apple makes a fullsized keyboard but it has the feel of a regular MacBook keyboard not the pro.

Is anyone aware of any company that makes a keyboard with a similar feel to it?

2. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

actually, hp bundles some 17 dollar keyboard with their computers that types very similar. but i do not know if you can get it without getting an hp computer

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just try the "chiclet" aluminum keyboard. I used to have an iBook G4 which had the similar style of the MBP/PB keyboard. Both are great.

4. Erwan thread starter macrumors member

Well the keyboard on the chiclet is very similar to the regular MB not the MBP. The MBP (not the new one as I have yet to use one) has a very smooth keyboard.

I'll look into that HP one.

Thanks guys

E

5. rotatinginfant macrumors newbie

rotatinginfant

I'm looking for this too. I have an early MBP now (see sig) but I want to upgrade. Right now the only thing holding me back is how less fantastic the chicklets are. So far in my searches I've found two basic components that make it great:
    • scissor-switch - smooth click-pressure, thinner keys for less finger movement
    • rounded keys - keys are ergonomically fitted to feel nice, easily defined edges of keys, but can slide finger across board easily

All I've found besides the Apple chicklet keyboard are the ones from Kensington like the SlimType, but it only has the scissor-switch part. The keys are flat on top, so they feel the same as the chicklets. This is how most of them seem to be.

I wonder what my odds are of modding a MBP replacement keyboard into an external...

EDIT: Anybody got a link to the HP keyboard?

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

this one: http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computer/categories/mice_keyboards/1/accessories/KR836AA%23ABA