A futile pursuit.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tenashus1, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I have tried unsuccessfully so far to squeeze my iPad Pro 9.7' tablet into my 13" 2015 MBP. The two just won't fit into one case. Frustrating. I've had dreams and visions of how wonderful it would be if I could somehow just integrate these two machines into one, and have a touchscreen on a foldable Mac(with an included SD slot of course). But, alas, my desires have not yet come to fruition. Don't get me wrong. I really value what each of these machines can do. They are both excellent. They have everything I could ever want. If I can just somehow squeeze that bugger into the MBP all would be fine. Wait...let me try just once more.

2. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

So you want a Mac keyboard that attaches to a tablet running IOS and with 2Gb RAM?

You could just use the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard thingy, and dongle out to a SD reader. Problem solved! :)

3. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    No, no. Please don't misunderstand. I may not have been clear enough. I want my iPad to run OSX through the MBP. That way it could all be integrated into one seamless package. Like a 2 in 1 mac. You know. Kind of like the 2 in 1 Windows machines but with all the included goodies of the Apple pencil, the nice slots on the MBP, the touchpad, and the OSX. Not too much to ask. You know what I mean?

4. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

Your iPad would be terrible running OSX. It's not designed for touchscreen plus the iPad Pro only has 2Gb RAM which would crawl.

What you are saying is you want a MacBook Pro that has a removable touchscreen/tablet. I think Tim Cook has nixed that idea previously, and I'm not sure he is wrong. I absolutely love the iPad Pro...it is fast, responsive, runs the super-slick IOS and can be used with the keyboard as a very competent emailer/browser/forum reader but has the advantage of running a myriad of great apps. I also love MacBooks and OSX - I get why people may want an all-in-one device, but I personally wouldn't want to be reaching over and touching the screen of my laptop constantly.

I think they are great devices in their own right and don't need to converge IMO. There would have to be too many compromises in too many areas I think.

5. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, we will be reaching over a cute little touchbar on the MBP instead . Maybe that little touchbar is reaching for the future. I don't know the outcome. It's cute though.

6. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

It's hardly a 'reach'. Place your fingers in typing position on your keyboard, now extend them to the function keys (where the touchbar is). Your fingers are still on the keyboard and still able to continue typing. Now try the same thing but touching the screen...now imagine doing that repetitively and alternating with moving down to the keyboard - completely different thing.

Tablet computers work so well because you can hold them, have them on your knee or flat on the desk in front of you, or propped up on a little stand when watching videos etc. Laptops are a completely different form factor IMO.

7. Macalway macrumors 68020

I use my Mac Mini with my iPad Pro (both 12 + 9.7) with Duet. No other monitor. You should try this. It boots into Duet. You need a BT trackpad and keyboard on hand as it's not 100%, but it's not an issue really (if you have these). It's not a hack, it's functional. With the pencil it's really something.

Try it.