Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethereal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
I'm in a Windows office now and there's a Linksys wireless router.

Can I put a wireless card in my G5 and connect to that router? Or do I need to do something else?

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Absolutely. The router is most likely one of the "G" variety (802.11g), so an Airport Extreme card (or any other Mac compatible card) will work. If it's a work environment, the connection is likely encrypted. Contact IT support and find out the "key" and ask about any other settings that are required.

Good luck!

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Mind you, your IT guys are probably going to try and tell you that your Mac won't work on the network. This is patently untrue. Just tell them that you are trying to set up your own computer, don't tell them whether it's a Mac or a Windoze box.

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Very Good Point

KingSleaze said:
Mind you, your IT guys are probably going to try and tell you that your Mac won't work on the network. This is patently untrue. Just tell them that you are trying to set up your own computer, don't tell them whether it's a Mac or a Windoze box.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common occurrence. It is mind boggling why these people are so adamant about their "no Mac" policy. It seems like they should THANK you for not adding to their workload by using Windows. Apple has gone to great lengths to make OS X play nicely with Windows. The outstanding issues are minimal.

It's like a friend of mine says, "If you don't know, just say you don't know." :confused:

What tech support should say: "We don't know enough about the Macintosh OS to help you if any problems arise, but we have no issues with you using it on the network."

But in all likelihood, they're going to give you the "no Macs" line. :mad:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well the reason they dont like macs is because if more people used macs they would be out of a job do to having to administer them less, and because they are more reliable than window machines ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Our IT guys won't let any Macs on the network because they are a 'security risk'. We've shown them the closed ports, we've stuck Virex on it but no goes... so if we want a file, we have to take the PB to the local Starbucks and email it to ourselves. So much for security!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.