A GameBoy's Battery

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MyiBill, Mar 4, 2014.

1. MyiBill macrumors 6502

I was looking through some drawers the other day and found my old gambol sp and micro, haven't used them in at least 5 years and yet when I flicked the power switch they came right on, back to the game I saved half a decade ago. I just think its amazing that after all this time the battery still has charge. I understand that things are far more advanced today but what gives? My iPhone barely last the day.

2. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Today's technology is not only much more demanding, it's also built to force you to buy a new model. I know of several people who at one point have dug out their old Nokias and Motorolas while their smartphone was on the frizz and lo and behold, they still work!

3. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

My DS lite from grade 5 still works like a charm, and I charge it once per year and play every weekend... lol.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

But that doesn't explain how the charge held in the battery for all these years.

5. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

If you turn off an iPhone and do not open it; the battery will not run out unlike standby mode. Similarly, even if you put an iPhone in Airplane mode, turn off push notification and all that junk you'd be surprised to see how long it lasts.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If there was no draw on the battery, then its conceivable that it would still have power. Batteries use a chemical reaction and if there nothing drawing on it, its plausible that the chemical degradation due to nonuse was insufficient to fully drain the battery.

Most modern electronic devices now a days are not truly off when you hit the power button, so that's probably one major difference in the technology. .

Plus battery technology is such that it can generate more power in a smaller size but is probably a bit more volitile, i.e., degrades quicker.