A general question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, May 18, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I really don't know too much about this sort of thing (I'm female, forgive me :p) but is the speed of opening files, opening safari etc influenced by memory or the processor speed? I'm looking to buy a 24" iMac eventually but I will not be doing too much high intensity stuff, mostly word, itunes, net surfing, a bit of photoshop and thats about it so I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a lower end imac if that will be ok for me

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its really a combo of both as well as hdd speed and a multitude of other factors

with that said, i would still get the lower end mac if you arent using it for intensive stuff

3. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Umm... How are the computers in your signature working out for you? The iMac should be about the same speed as them.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you having a particular set of genitals or two X chromosomes has much to do with your apparent lack of computer knowledge.

Given what you want to do, the lowest end iMacs will be perfectly fine.:)

5. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

So true. I've only been to the genius bar a few times, so I have only a few samples, but all the female geniuses were more helpful and polite.

As for your question, I have no idea. Id say your biggest bottleneck is your internet connection speed.:p
    SG :apple:

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Now thats funny! :D True, but funny!

While I agree that the low end is all that you will "need", I think you should get the best iMac that you can afford. It will pay off in a few years as everyday software becomes more processor intensive.

But again, a 2.4 will do you for several years doing basic type stuff.