A generation behind: USB 2.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mac jones, Sep 2, 2011.

1. mac jones macrumors 68040

I go to Amazon to search for an external USB drive. You know, those things you need because you laptop only has 128GB, or enough memory to store just about nothing. And ALL of the drives I see are USB 3.0

Yeah this company is the best. :rolleyes:

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Most of them are backwards compatable with USB 2.0.

3. mac jones thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes they all are probably. That's not the point. I'm really pissed off about this frankly. Apple has puts all it's eggs in a single basket.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If by "this company" you mean Intel, who still doesn't have native USB 3.0 support in their chipsets, then I think you have a point.

I bet that as soon as Intel rolls out a chipset with USB 3 support it will start showing up in Mac refreshes.

5. iamBrian macrumors newbie

iamBrian

I've been looking at external drives, and with the amount of usb3 drives that are out now, it's kind of strange to think that Apple claimed lack of support when it came to usb3.

I'm in a position where I can afford to wait on a drive solution, but I'm sure there are others out there that are twiddling their thumbs waiting for something that will suit them. At the same time, I'd be ok with usb2, but that's just me.

I really wish there were some thunderbolt options out there.

6. adammade macrumors newbie

With all this talk of USB 3.0 on Mac products next year makes me kinda feel that our air's will be out of date fairly soon in terms of USB speed.

I just wish Lacie would hurry up with that thunderbolt drive, it says summer on their website!

7. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Hurry The **** Up!

We'll have Thunderbolt > USB 3.0 adapter at some point and this will be a non issue.... Wish they'd hurry the hell up though, backing up a 1TB music library over USB 2.0 makes me vomit chunks/

8. Nioxic macrumors regular

you talking about amazon now? :p
    coz you can buy many usb things .. in 2012 you'll MAYBE see thunderbolt memory sticks or external hdds. i bet thats gonna be sweet!

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You're pissed off yet you bought the Mac knowing full well it doesn't have USB 3.0?

10. mac jones thread starter macrumors 68040

Hmm, yes call me foolish.

I thought it would go well with my three other Apple laptops, Cinema Display, iPad, iPhone, 4 iPods, (sorry i'm probably missing 2 or 3)

:D

11. treestar macrumors 6502

There's a month left of Summer, then Summer in the southern hemisphere comes around.