A gift for mac-users (my first program) :-)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thinksamuel, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinksamuel macrumors newbie

Hello

my name is Samuel Van Ransbeeck. I am a student of
    composition at ESMAE in Porto, Portugal. For my
    electronic music project, I developed a program that
    takes the values of the stock exchange and translates
    them into music, and also improvises with the data. My teachers liked it a lot and I alredy got lots of positive feedback on the program. As I put lots of work in it, I don't want it to collect dust so i am putting it on the internet for download. I hope you will like it. Here is the
    downloadlink
    http://www.filemojo.com/018385241811973/Stockwatch.zip

yours sincerely
    Samuel Van Ransbeeck

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The time when a new aleatoric composition would be mildly interesting to anyone has long passed. It passed into extinction with the deaths of Cage and Stockhausen (Boulez is inexplicably behind the curve here). Your teachers should not be encouraging you in this direction since this is the equivalent of music composition malpractice.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

How is that malpractice? Give the guy a break, I don't see how anything could be considered malpractice when it comes to art. Seems a contradiction in terms if you ask me.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A newcomer comes onto the forum with a free app that he's written, happily makes it available to all, and gets an earful? Not impressed.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Jeez, lighten up.

Seconded.

To the OP. Any chance you could put some excerpts up?

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Cromulent, I respect your opinion in many things, but music composition is not one of them. I am a music professor in this field and aleatoricism in music composition had its heyday in the 60s. It is the domain of the aging hippie composers at this point, and encouraging someone in this direction would not make them marketable for either recordings or teaching positions. This is why I gave the blunt advice that I did--it was tought love rather than malice.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I've only become interested in experimental music in the last couple of years and can't get enough of it. Just because you think it's "had it's heyday" doesn't make it any less valid as a genre of music than anything else out there today,
    Would you discourage people from composing string quartets for example?

8. Thinksamuel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, opinions differ. I don't consider this program aleatoric, or you have to consider the movements in the financial markets also aleatoric. This program makes music of a seemingly dry stream of numbers. I don't say that this program will give you the right composition, it's a tool to further manipulate the results. Of course, if you don't want to manipulate, you can use it as background music. To go further, 'aleatoric' music is not dead, it becomes a more and more common practice, Brian Eno is the most famous of this movement.
    But anyway, negative opinion is better then no opinion at all

9. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Sounds like somebody is trying to wax intellectual. In his explanation the OP mentioned nothing about marketing himself. This may be the first step in a lifetime of exploration. The stiflingly closed-minded shouldn't be teaching anything creative. Like Ms. Velvet, I am also not impressed.

10. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I've given my advice, something I do for a living. If I was harsh with this newbie, I apologize for this (I've seen professors be far more blunt with students), but not for the advice itself, which I stand behind 100%. If my post upset the musical dilettantes on this list, I'll certainly be able to sleep at night. But confusing a musical genre (string quartet) from a moribund compositional technique (aleatoricism) proves my point.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Thinksamuel, I like it.
    Nice work.

In your opinion.

12. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Seems like you need to drop this career path and concentrate on your music profession. You suck at giving advice, oh BTW that's MY OPINION which I stand by 100%.

To the OP. Congrats on the programming. It's not something many people can do here although the way some people talk they seem to think they are.

I haven't looked at the program and quite honestly have no interest in it but to pull it off and to put a lot of time into it is admirable. I'm a C# programmer and know other languages as well, I'm almost beyond learning a new language. I wish I had the patience you had in writing a Mac program.

Also kudo's for providing all that hard work for free.

To Professor Advice there, regardless of what the program does, it's still admirable to accomplish such a task and then share it with the community regardless of what the program does.

14. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Someone needs more fiber in their diet. :D

15. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

Nice work man.
    I have just completed a composition for my uni course in the same vein as cage and stockhausen and this reminded me of it. Although i didn't use stocks to make my music lol. Very individual idea.

16. hob macrumors 68020

hob

This sounds very cool, I'm downloading it now! 101MB is possibly the heftiest free app I've ever downloaded!

I'm doing experimental visualisation for music at the moment, so if you ever wanna hook up and do some A/V stuff, let me know :)

Oh, just got it - what an amazing cacophony! Nicely put together app, bit different to what I've come to expect from XCode, what did you make it with?

edit: Ahh a bit of digging and I think you made it with MAX/MSP? I was looking at Max/MSP/Jitter for my project, but gave up!

17. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

I have to admit it...you sound smart as hell.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, I'm not sure what's got Kashchei all up in a hissy but thank you Thinksamuel. I'm downloading it now to check it out.

On a side note, I now understand what is wrong with the public school system in America. :rolleyes:

19. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Ditto.

I'm downloading it now that I'm on my Mac. Although this isn't my forte I'm sure the skill and time that went into it (which I mentioned above) are well worth the reward you got for accomplishing this.

20. GratefulMed macrumors newbie

Pathetic

Judging the value of music by its marketability is the saddest commentary on music professorship I've ever heard. You should be embarrassed to have said that. Your close-minded view of art is so incredibly elitist -- it smacks of every bad stereotype the conservative media lays on academia. Not to mention your bad manners. Remind me not to invite you to my dinner party.

21. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Lets go to starbucks for some coffee and tell me how you really feel (bring your macz!)

22. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Good Lord, what an unpleasant chap! Only those with a (cough) professional knowledge of music are entitled to express an opinion on it, or...heaven forbid, enjoy it? You sound more like an insurance salesman. Do you actually take any pleasure from music, or is it just something that pays the bills? :rolleyes:

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With all apologies to the original poster (welcome to the forums, and sorry, I haven't looked at your program yet), I'm closing this thread because, at present, the inevitable result of this thread is that one or more people will get banned or put in time out.... so chill out, everyone. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.