A gift from dad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xPurpleblob, Jun 17, 2012.

1. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Would you guys consider it to be rude to sell an item that your received from a family member? More specifically an iPad 2. I mean everyday this thing drops in value and I want to buy a different item with the money. Argh this sentimental crap...

2. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Maybe just ask him? Explain that there is a newer model and you want to upgrade. I think most people would be ok with that.

3. brandnewsteven macrumors newbie

Most people offer me the receipt when they buy me things on the off chance I might not like it or would want to exchange it. At the end of the day it's a gift, I think your Dad would be happier knowing you have something you want than having spent money on something you're not enjoying.

4. -TYLER macrumors regular

You do realize iPad is almost just as good as the new iPad. The new iPad only has a better screen, and camera.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Who said he wanted to upgrade??

Its quite an expensive gift to just return. I'd say hang on to it. Why did he get it for you? Did you say you wanted one or show any signs of wanting one?

If my old man bought me something of such a great value i'd be amazingly grateful and try and get as much use out of it as possible.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'd expect that you know your father better than we do.

7. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

I mean I have been using it over a year.

8. R1PPER macrumors 6502

im sure you dad will be ok if the money goes towards something else tangible. And you don't just waste it on strippers and Mojito's.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats not too bad then. :)

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, then. That's totally different. He got you an iPad, you enjoyed it for a year, now you're ready to move on to something else. I don't see why it should be any concern to your dad what you do with it.

11. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

I mean since this year im going to be doing lots of programming in classes and programming in teams... I think a macbook would be more suitable for that so thats what im planning to do...

12. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I had the same situation and ask the person who had given me the iPad if they minded that I sell it to get something else and in my case an upgraded iPad. They were thrilled for me that I could do it and that their gift would allow me to get a better item. I did the sale upgraded and showed them the new iPad and everyone celebrated and was happy.

HiddenPuppy

13. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's an iPad, not a sacred family heirloom. And you've used it for over a year. I don't see why there should be a problem.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This. Explain to the old man that your iPad just isn't going to cut it anymore now that you'll be needing to do more serious programming for your classes/schoolwork. I seriously doubt he'd have any issues with that as he'd want you to do well in school and if you need something to perform better, why would he get mad? If anything, he'll probably take the iPad for himself and help you out a bit with the MacBook.