A Glimpse at How the Apple Watch is Made

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kermy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Kermy macrumors member

2. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Cool, but it all seems to be based off of the March 9th keynote. Anyone can watch the entire keynote on Apple's site; the videos about the manufacturing process are toward the last 5-10 min or so.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

:)

4. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Thank you for posting the link. It's helpful to have the videos "narrated" by someone with a good background in manufacturing.

If this interpretation of the videos is correct, it goes quite a way toward explaining the prices for the SS watch and link bracelet, which some laymen are calling obscenely overpriced.

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The article goes into much more depth than the videos. As someone with no experience in machining, I found it very fascinating to get more explanation of what was shown in the videos.

Kermy - Thanks for the link!

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's interesting to compare this with how a Chinese knock-off watch is made.

Apparently there's going to be a lot of steps involved no matter what, including CNC, blasting, polishing and lasers.

From the advertisement for the Chinese "AIWatch", a popular device with GSM cellular capability that sells for $130:

aiwatch_make1.jpg

aiwatch_make2.jpg

aiwatch_make3.jpg

The "sand brasting" is my favorite part.

7. camtechman56 macrumors regular

Yep! that is the way most products are made in industry. poured, forged, machined, and polished. it is the same when a crankshaft is made. As for CNC machining once you do the setup, run and test the program the machine does the work. All you need at that point is an operator to change our parts and watch for blips in the machine or program. I see it every day. What I don't see every day is a watch that could be fully compatible with my Iphone. Now that is impressive :D