A glitch in Lion? Had to reformat before drive would mount again

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This morning I rebooted my MacBook Pro. It started trying to load a firmware update, which of course didn't exist because there wasn't one to begin with. So it hanged and sat there at 0% for about five minutes until I restarted it.

Then, it booted to the spinning indicator. Then I restarted it again, the Apple logo, then nothing.

I went into the Disk Utility app in the recovery, Macintosh HD was gray and it wouldn't mount until I erased the partition. It wouldn't let me repair or verify permissions.

I then proceeded to reinstall OS X. The download took two hours, 20 minutes to install. A nightmare.

Has anyone had this happen in Lion particularly?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i had similar issue found i had faulty RAM, tested the ram with memtest and sure enough it failed the test put my original RAM back in and havnt had any issues since

Tinchohs

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Uruguay
i had similar issue found i had faulty RAM, tested the ram with memtest and sure enough it failed the test put my original RAM back in and havnt had any issues since
I had exactly the same issue, yet after running memtest for 3 very long passes nothing was detected. I had to format the drive and reinstall Lion from a Time Machine backup. Yet, even after this I get some instances where the machine will not boot. I can turn it off and when I restart usually will boot. I did get rid of the 'firmware' like bar.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
I had exactly the same issue, yet after running memtest for 3 very long passes nothing was detected. I had to format the drive and reinstall Lion from a Time Machine backup. Yet, even after this I get some instances where the machine will not boot. I can turn it off and when I restart usually will boot. I did get rid of the 'firmware' like bar.
Have you had your logic board checked out?