A glitch in Lion? Had to reformat before drive would mount again

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jessica Lares, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This morning I rebooted my MacBook Pro. It started trying to load a firmware update, which of course didn't exist because there wasn't one to begin with. So it hanged and sat there at 0% for about five minutes until I restarted it.

Then, it booted to the spinning indicator. Then I restarted it again, the Apple logo, then nothing.

I went into the Disk Utility app in the recovery, Macintosh HD was gray and it wouldn't mount until I erased the partition. It wouldn't let me repair or verify permissions.

I then proceeded to reinstall OS X. The download took two hours, 20 minutes to install. A nightmare.

Has anyone had this happen in Lion particularly?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i had similar issue found i had faulty RAM, tested the ram with memtest and sure enough it failed the test put my original RAM back in and havnt had any issues since

3. Tinchohs macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same issue, yet after running memtest for 3 very long passes nothing was detected. I had to format the drive and reinstall Lion from a Time Machine backup. Yet, even after this I get some instances where the machine will not boot. I can turn it off and when I restart usually will boot. I did get rid of the 'firmware' like bar.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Have you had your logic board checked out?