A "good" Adblock extension for Safari/Webkit 5.0.6

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zappaesque, Jun 19, 2017.

1. zappaesque, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

Hello all! I'm new posting here but have been lurking for some time now and picking up tips as I tinker with my 12 inch Powerbook G4 running at 1.5 ghz. Thanks to all of the knowledgeable peeps here who contribute.

In this spirit, I'd like to give back. I've been trying to find a decent Adblock extension for the Leopard Webkit browser, as the old Adblock Plus extension was causing me no end of problems- freezing pages, crashing, long load times, etc. I played around with a few different versions of Adblock and Adblock Plus and found one that works quite well, without all of the problems that plagued me in the past. This older version of [just plain] Adblock seems to work very well so far, and with IPv6 disabled, makes Webkit a much better experience. So far it's blocked everything I've thrown at it.

The "good" in the title is because, well, Adblock is generally a leaky, boggy mess. This one seems ok though.

I cannot upload the extension here, so I put it on my Firedrop account. If someone wishes to download and install this extension, it's best to use Tenfourfox with an ad blocker already installed to download the file, as Firedrop has the usual "Flash is outdated" crap ads. If that, and the newness of myself on this forum, still makes anyone nervous, just do a search for Adblock 2.0.6 for Safari. I found this older version on archive.org after a fairly lengthy Google search.

The link:
    https://firedrop.com/31203b9d35c395f8ff37e81896905cc5

Thanks again to all who tear apart, tinker, and otherwise destroy these old machines to make them usable again. I hope to be among those who can help out.

2. benwild_33 macrumors regular

I'd recommend picking up a cheap raspberry pi and setting up a pihole on your network, it uses practically no resources on the pi and none on your Mac and blocks most ads. I run it on an original raspberry pi (single core with 512mb ram) alongside a mumble server and it has resources to spare.

Edit: although thinking about it, with something like a PowerBook your solution would probably be more efficient if you are moving to different networks all the time

3. zappaesque thread starter macrumors member

zappaesque

If it were my main or only machine, that would be an excellent idea. I have been wanting to mess with a Pi but haven't gotten around to snatching one up just yet. Soon, hopefully.

I've also resorted to using the hosts file to help with ad blocking, and have disabled DNS pre-fetching to help with the occasional Safari site-loading issues, where it'll load slowly while it chokes on a server that's dragging.

4. internetzel macrumors newbie

Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) is the only ad blocking solution for PowerMacs I'd recommend because it uses far less resources than anything I've seen.
    It works as a local proxy server, so it's somewhat complicated to set it up. But it doesn't use Java (like GlimmerBlocker) or JavaScript (like Safari extensions). I don't currently use it as I'm quite happy with the hosts list from here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm . But when I tried it some years ago it did work as expected - and the current version is once again available for PowerMacs!

5. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

Hey, thanks for this. It seems to work on Leopard WebKit 604.5.6 (whereas the current version just causes both Safari normal and Leopard WebKit 604.5.6 to hang).

6. ziggy29, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

ziggy29 macrumors 6502

Seems like installing extensions is hit or miss for me in WebKit. Maybe the extensions are too new to work in Safari 5.0.6 and silently fail when you try to install?

7. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

i found that the one that zappaesque posted works. At least i think it's working...

8. zappaesque thread starter macrumors member

zappaesque

It mostly works. Some newer ads get through, but not too many. I'm glad that this is still useful, considering that this thread was my very first post on this forum :)