Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
fellow mac folks,

i'm looking at the following imac g5 rev a to purchase.
local seller is asking $800, offering for me to take a look.
i want to mount this in my kitchen, although i also want to buy a new dslr for around the same price.

is this worth the asking price?

1.8Ghz PowerPC G5 processor
512K on-chip level 2 cache running at 1.8Ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM (Supports upto 2GB)
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
Slot Loading DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics with 128MB DDR Memory
Built in 56K Modem
Built in Ethernet
Built in Wireless Card Airport Extreme Card 802.11g
Two Firewire, three USB
BLUETOOTH
Integrated Speakers
Apple Mouse and Keyboard
ORIGINAL BOX, Guide and Padding all included.
OS X
Office Mac (Installed)
Adobe Photoshop CS Installed

cheers,
keebler

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
No. It's a G5, not even an intelmac and they're trying to squeeze money out of you by leaving Adobe CS installed on it (illegal btw).

What's the screensize? It's Rev a, but is it 20" or 17"? That also determines worth.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
No. It's a G5, not even an intelmac and they're trying to squeeze money out of you by leaving Adobe CS installed on it (illegal btw).

What's the screensize? It's Rev a, but is it 20" or 17"? That also determines worth.

almost certain it's a 17"

i was also thinking the value would be lower considering new imacs are supposedly coming out soon.
i believe it's a student trying to get money for laptop so i understand his need to keep the price high, but i'm not buying at the price. also said that there is extended warranty until 2009 which must mean he didn't buy it through apple b/c that would put the purchase to last year which doesn't add up.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
iMacs hold their value extremely well. When new iMacs are introduced only the last two or three generations really see much of a price drop. After that, its a very slow decline. G4 iMacs probably aren't the best comparision since many people (myself included) feel that they are the pinnacle of desktop computer design but you would have a hard time finding a 20" G4 iMac for less than $800 or $900. And that is for a 1.25GHz G4! Even the latter of the CRT iMacs sell for $200 to $300.

Back on topic, if he wants $800 for a 17" iMac, you might as well get the refurb 17" from the Apple Store with warranty and all. I think it is $899.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.