a good external hard drive for imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dalittlegirl, Dec 15, 2012.

1. dalittlegirl macrumors newbie

I'll be purchasing a new imac...Apart from the imac I'm also planning to buy an extra external hard drive, and with that in mind I don't know if the fusion drive is really needed for me for the imac since I don't plan on storing too much on the imac but mainly just having a faster startup speed and overall fast performance. Do you think the fusion drive is a good upgrading option for the imac or should I just stick with a new external?

Oh and I would also like to ask for some opinions in getting a hard drive.
    Do I have to get the ones that say they're mac ready or can I just buy ones that says it's only windows compatible and then reformat it myself? Will there be any differences in performance if I format myself?

Does the spindle speed make a big difference? (5400rpm vs 7200rpm)

Any recommendations on a good 2-3TB hard drive with USB3.0 and good for mac?

I have a seagate expansion 2TB USB3 drive for my pc and it's really nice, but I don't know if it can be formatted for mac.. if you guys know that it can work on mac and the performance won't be affected then I think I'll just get one more of those and format it for my mac since it's much cheaper than the ones that are mac ready...

I was thinking about going for a thunderbolt hard drive but I guess I just don't have the money now.. so yeah haha

2. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

That Seagate drive you have can be reformatted for Mac but you'd lose your data that's on it. I wouldn't recommend that if you need the data on there. If you don't, go ahead and use that one.

If you need the data on your current HD, grab another one of those (since you like it) and reformat it for your new iMac.