A good hosting package that provides SSH access

obelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Currently I'm with www.lunarpages.com and their service is spectacular but unfortunately they don't provide any ssh access to the server so I cannot install anything if it requires any command line configuration. What do you guys recommend in terms of a web hosting package that provides ssh?

Stuart

nokq

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
ServerBeach

obelix said:
Currently I'm with www.lunarpages.com and their service is spectacular but unfortunately they don't provide any ssh access to the server so I cannot install anything if it requires any command line configuration. What do you guys recommend in terms of a web hosting package that provides ssh?

Stuart
From your post I can't really tell what your price range is. I use ServerBeach.com. Yes, expect to spend 100 bucks a month. Alot of money but you get a box and can do anything you want with it. I've got a 2000GB quota for the month and unmetered transfer rates. Plus the service is excellent. You get what you pay for. I don't have to hold when I call. Issues are resolved promptly.

obelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Ideally less than $50 a month but I'm wondering if such a service is even offered with ssh access. I don't need my own server as that is a bit extreme, a reseller host is fine but cost is a critical factor. $100 is a bit pricey.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would say look for any service that gives a shell account. Most hosting services don't give this because it can lead to someone trying to hack into the provider of the server and cause trouble. Thats why people rent a server like the other guy here, then you get a shell account because you are allowed to do what you want to the server. Where as if you are just getting hosting, then there are other peoples sites on that same computer, and they don't need to hacking into and stealing bandwidth or anything else. So, most only have FTP uploading to avoid this.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
A Small Orange is a really good host and has quite a good name here on MacRumors (and probably other places too). While they don't give you SSH access by default, you can submit a support ticket and they'll give it to you. That's what I did, and they responded in 31 minutes (that was actually my slowest response from them, usually it's about 10-20 minutes).
-Chase

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Hm, looks like you already searched on their support forums :D. However, they should be coming out with dedicated servers soon (according to this), but I doubt that would meet the under-$50 budget. Then again, it's ASO, so who knows?
-Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.