Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I like what Dell has done here with the new Inspiron... small bezels etc. I'd say Dell is the next best thing to an ecosystem compared to Apple but without MacOS, it's a hard argument.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 8.56.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 8.56.04 AM.png
    701.7 KB · Views: 336

06tb06

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2017
It's a very low specced machine.

I think they're referencing to this machine:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...n-27-7000-all-in-one/spd/inspiron-27-7775-aio

I like what Dell has done here with the new Inspiron... small bezels etc. I'd say Dell is the next best thing to an ecosystem compared to Apple but without MacOS, it's a hard argument.

I would go for the top-end model and do a machine tear-down, upgrade the processor to eight-core Ryzen 7 1700, upgrade to 32GB of RAM and try to find the fastest compatible "all-flash" storage option. Finally, install macOS and brag about my killer Hackintosh computer.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm looking at an iMac 5K right now. The bezels don't bother me! They're black and I think they do a nice job visually separating the screen from whatever is behind it. I understand wanting thin bezels on a mobile device like a phone or a laptop where space is at a premium -- but on a desktop it doesn't bother me much to have a bit of stuff around the edges.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The iMac bezels are wretched looking in 2018. Still waiting for Apple to reduce these eye sores in a future redesign.

Reactions: groove-agent

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
desktop_inspiron_aio_27_7775_module-7.jpg

Amazing what you can get done when you don't care about the thinness of the sides.

And amazing that they had put the webcam on the bottom of the screen as a result. Now that’s form over function, the very thing Apple are frequently accused of.

Reactions: HenryDJP

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
When it comes to computers / smartphones and other similar devices bezels are the least of my concern. Yet marketing has made, or the lack of, them priority number one for many buyers.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
The only time I notice bezels is when I see threads like these. I'm more interested in what the computer can do than the looks of the computer itself. Granted I want it to look nice, but I remember the good old days of the Amiga Computers (actually for that time period it did look pretty neat), the Atari 400 & 800 computer (it looked like an overweight keyboard) and the good old Commodore 64 (it looked more like a toy than a computer at the time). Computer graphics have come a long way from those days and also the power of the CPU & GPU as well.

Today when I overhear a teenager complain how slow something is on their smartphone, tablet or computer I think back to the days where friends and I would have download parties where even a file the size of 75K or 100K sometimes would take a long time downloading and we were in 7th heaven if we could get a really really large file of a size approximately 600K to finish before we all had to call it a night. Most software had to be bought at brick & mortar stores such as Egghead (a different Egghead), but we would download for free games and free applications (some legal, but most of them were a little shady :D) off a bbs (Bulletin Board Service). That's why we had download parts so we can put them a floppy disk (I believe 5 1/4" size disk) to load onto our computers. I even rand a BSS for about 10-12 years myself.

Reactions: TyWahn

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The iMac's bezels or chin never bothered me. I had a bezel less monitor before and it drove my eyes crazy when I had activity going on behind it. The bezels actually provide an eye buffer. What bothers me is that they aren't height adjustable (without special order with a VESA mount).

Reactions: Mac32

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
The iMac's bezels or chin never bothered me. I had a bezel less monitor before and it drove my eyes crazy when I had activity going on behind it. The bezels actually provide an eye buffer.
Exactly, you nailed it.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Agreed. Once you use a thin bezel display it's hard to go back. Seeing these bezels now on the mac looks antiquated. Maybe a notchbook pro for 2018? ;)

The iMac bezels are wretched looking in 2018. Still waiting for Apple to reduce these eye sores in a future redesign.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
And amazing that they had put the webcam on the bottom of the screen as a result. Now that’s form over function, the very thing Apple are frequently accused of.

Well, at least Dell didn't cut a notch out of the top of the display to accommodate the camera...

Not sure why you need a 1" bezel to accommodate a webcam (apart from cost-cutting) even en-bezeled smartphones fit it into a fraction of that.

I had a bezel less monitor before and it drove my eyes crazy when I had activity going on behind it. The bezels actually provide an eye buffer.

Hmmm... I'm sure cardboard cut-out replacement bezels recreating a variety of classic Apple designs would rapidly become available from the people who gave you $20 drinks coasters for your Homepod.

What bothers me is that they aren't height adjustable (without special order with a VESA mount).

Hopefully, any new iMac will accept a retro-fittable VESA mount like the iMac Pro.
...a decent height-adjustable stand as standard would also be more helpful than bezels.

If you're going to go bezel-less, how about taking the opportunity of fitting a larger display, 28, 29, 30" without significantly altering the footprint? The 5k resolution would stand a slightly larger screen. OK, I know someone has to make the display panels first...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.