A good price on Ram just got better.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BESLC, Jan 24, 2014.

1. BESLC macrumors regular

2. bad1550 macrumors regular

Just purchased a base 27" iMac with 8GB. Is it necessary to upgrade the 16GB kit - would bring me to 24GB?

I run mostly Photoshop ( beginner user)

Thx

3. BESLC thread starter macrumors regular

There will be debate on this issue, if you can afford the upgrade I feel it is worthwhile. In terms of how much benefit you get, will depend on your usage and the system as a whole. What I mean is, what applications you use, are you multi-tasking, the system processor and type of hard drive all play into performance as well.

I personally am running 32GB on an i7 fusion drive system. I can't say which is providing me the most benefit, but I can say this system is very fast.

4. bad1550 macrumors regular

I may wait until it drops a bit more . I think I am Ok for now as I do not multitask too often.

Thanks

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I upgraded from 8GB to 24GB and have noticed a difference only in that I can run several large applications at once. I'm tempted to go ahead and pull the two 4GB Apple sticks and replacing them with 8GB from Amazon but don't think going from 24GB to 32GB is worth it right now. Still tempting though just to get it done especially since the prices are dropping.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

With RAM, it's easy to get, fast to install, and will always* be cheaper x months later. So I tend to wait until it's needed or it's so cheap as to be a no brainier. As a rule of thumb, if you don't like reading activity monitor, just buy when it's under $60 per.

*At some point, the popularity of a given spec drops and it starts to become rare and the price goes up. But by that point, it usual makes more sense to sell the machine.

7. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say its always cheaper. I bought this RAM from NewEgg for $80 back in Feb of 2012. Just bought a used late 2012 iMac and went looking to buy again...and it's almost double the price. $135 is good now, but WTH? 2 years later and its way more expensive??

8. BESLC, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

BESLC thread starter macrumors regular

In todays market the Crucial Ram from Amazon is a good price. I certainly can't predict the price of Ram in the future. It does appear it is tending down from a couple of weeks ago. Where it will go and will the bottom fall out of the Ram pricing ,no clue. Generally the price of tech products follows the economy. If the economy is growing and demand is up..prices hold or go up, conversely if the economy is down so is the pricing.

Comparative Ram pricing as of today for 16GB ram kit.

Crucial Ram from Amazon- $134.50 (Note exact same ram as Crucial direct,different part number)

Crucial Ram from Crucial- $163.39

OWC Ram- $198.99