A good topic for an argumentative essay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaquib, Mar 21, 2010.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

That's my assignment. I was thinking of refuting claims about what the generic women should be and my points are:

• A notion still exists that the man is the breadwinner in the house and women don't work nearly as often, however, according to unemployment rates, women have a lower % and there are 49.9% of women that are employed in the US
    • Though women have been known as the predominant cooks in the house, many of the world's top chefs and restaurant owners are male.
    • There is a stereotype that still lurks with women's inability to drive as properly as men; some middle eastern countries don't even allow women to drive, meanwhile statistics show that 73% of all accidents are male.
    • Though it is believed women are the more emotional creatures, studies show that men are equally- if not more- emotional than women but simply oppress their feelings.

What do you guys think? Good topic, or should I change it?

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

As long as you are interested in doing so, go for it.

Generic topics like this are usually done well when students pick a topic that they are interested in, not the easiest topic they can think of.

3. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well I couldn't really think of any other topics that would provide as many statistics and proof and this is sort of the first one that came to my head :eek:

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

I know, that's my point about the easiest topic that students often pick for this type of topic.

Do some simple google search and find something that makes you really want to write it. It requires some of your own personal experience, think back on your life about some people you didn't recognize and yet you had some prejudice against them for no reason.

Use the women topic as a backup or fallback topic if you don't find anything else.

5. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

So are you suggesting I no longer write about the stereotypes against women? I believe my teacher would appreciate the simplicity and understand it better than a more complex topic.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

I edited the post but you responded fast.

No, I'm not suggesting you not write them. I'm suggesting you use it as a fallback topic if you don't find anything that's more interesting than the women.

There's so many stereotypes in the country that you must have experienced and I'm sure there's a few statistics information about them. Homosexuals, black people, janitors, homeless, native indians, and so on applies to this essay assignment as well.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I think it is a good topic. Use a topic that interests you. Asking us if you should do a topic is futile. You will more likely do better research if the topic interests you. Just remember to use facts and unless otherwise instructed, try to keep your own opinion to a minium. Don't use I, Me, My, etc...

A tip I can give you is make sure your sources are legit. I know for my college, sources such as wikipedia, most internet sites, magazine articles, etc... are not viewed as useable. Look for journal articles, actual documented research (the originals, not a summary), published statistics (professionally), etc...

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

My high school accepted wikipedia and magazine articles as long as you cite it right. College level, nope. So aaquib, you have to ask your instructor about the sources. I am not sure if you're in HS or college, I never had a paper assignment that require less than 5 pages at my college but than not every college is the same.

9. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

write about the issue of men not having the same right as women when it comes to having a baby. A woman can decide that she does not want to be a mother. a man can't do that.

10. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

According to my personal observations there are some women out there who are able to drive well and some men that aren't. But for the most part the stereotype is correct. In general women seem to be less logical and sometimes rather unpredictable while men to be the other way around.

12. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I believe you mean supress their feelings (not to be a dick, just don't want you to use the wrong word on your paper and have your grade suffer).

Secondly, I would argue that this suppression is a good thing, emotion clouds reason and causes problems. Men and women may both be emotional, but unfortunately women are more apt to make decisions and act out based on their emotion then men.

*Puts on flame suit* alright, lets do this :D

13. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Oh, must. resist. urge. to. flame.

14. mags631 Guest

I think your topic is too fuzzy: "refute claims about what a generic woman is". Whose claims? What are the claims? Too hard :)

However, your first point could be an awesome essay topic and you should be able to find a ton of statistics and arguments about the woman's role in the workplace.

You may want to expand it just slightly to give it a little more range: e.g., "Women's role in the workplace and its effect on society." That's not a thesis, just a poor title. Your thesis is what you are going to argue, which you can in fact decide after doing a little research.

15. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

The original is thought provoking.

Originally Posted by aaquib
    ...studies show that men are equally- if not more- emotional than women but simply oppress their feelings.
    I believe you mean supress their feelings (not to be a dick, just don't want you to use the wrong word on your paper and have your grade suffer).

16. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Be careful about your logic.

"A notion still exists that the man is the breadwinner in the house and women don't work nearly as often, however, according to unemployment rates, women have a lower %"

This means nothing, as unemployment rates only count those who want to be employed. If (to exaggerate), 90% of women are housewives, of course there would be a lower percentage of unemployed women.

"and there are 49.9% of women that are employed in the US"

Wait - if you're arguing that it's untrue that women do not work as often as men, are you saying that less than 49.8% of men work?

"Though women have been known as the predominant cooks in the house, many of the world's top chefs and restaurant owners are male."

All that proves is that men do it professionally. It doesn't mean that they do it at home. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that this doesn't prove that you're right.

"There is a stereotype that still lurks with women's inability to drive as properly as men; some middle eastern countries don't even allow women to drive"

I doubt that this has anything to do with a stereotype that women can't drive well and more to do with keeping women 'in their place'.

"meanwhile statistics show that 73% of all accidents are male."

Which means nothing without the companion statistic about the percentage of drivers on the road at any given time that are male or female. If men do 73% of the driving in the country, then it would make perfect sense for 73% of accidents to involve them.

I hope that that helps you a little. Good luck!!!

17. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

I think it's a great topic that you should delve in to and research. My only concern is that you're trying to talk about too much with not enough space. 500-700 words isn't really a lot to cover as much as you want to without only superficially sticking to each topic. I would choose just one or two of those sub-topics and expand on them more. Keep it up though as it seems you're off to a good start! Definitely take a look at jsalzer's comments as they're valid and shows you need to hone your topics and arguments to be bullet proof to ensure a good grade.