A good website creation tool?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by luiso455, Feb 20, 2009.

1. luiso455 macrumors newbie

I need a little help creating a website. I know there are websites that host and provide storage for website creation such as Freewebs and Weebly, but does anybody know a website that lets you create a website and hosts it for free. Weebly does an amazing job, if there is anynbody out there that has ever used it and Freewebs is decent, but what I am asking if there are any better services that are free that could also do those things. I am creating a personal website and what I need is a simple website with a interface that looks good. So if anybody know of there services please post away and leave some links.:)

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

For your needs, if you need something simple and creates a website without you touching any HTML or such, iWeb would do it pretty well. I think most of the web creation tools online are kinda sucky, and limit what you can do most of the time. iWeb has some pretty decent website layouts.

Probably best if you learn how to use HTML and CSS, then maybe you could make a career out of it. ;)

--EDIT--
    Looks like you have the CS4 Master Suite. Ever tried messing around with Dreamweaver? It has some decent templates as well.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Bravenet offers such a service, but there are ads on the page, space is limited, and they only offer templates. The templates are good, but you will need to download the templates and change the code yourself (not hard). The templates don't work with iWeb either.

You could also set up an account and create your site using iWeb's templates, and upload it to your free account.

Keep in mind that you will have to register and pay for your domain name.

I don't exactly know what you need this for, but I hope this helps.

4. luiso455 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh

Hmmmm, maybe I should try using iWeb. The only thing I don't understand is that if I create a website with iWeb where should I export the whole layout too. I mean I know I can create a website in iWeb and add HTML and Photos and Videos, but after that where would I go with the completed layout. Basically what I am trying to ask is where would I export/last the iWeb layout. Sorry for the unorganized questions, but Web Design hurts my head.

PS. I do have the CS4 collection and Dreamweaver seems like it would take forever to learn, but maybe one of these days I will fire it up and play with the program for a little bit.:cool:

:apple:

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Dreamweaver is intimidating, so if you are not into web design, I would recommend staying away from it. If you have Windows, you could try expression web, but it's not cheap either, but it works well for someone who is just learning.

When I use iWeb, I publish to a file on my computer, and use FileZilla to upload it to the server.

6. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Pratice makes perfect. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think you're getting confused on how the upload and how a web browser loads up a webpage. When you register for a hosting service, usually they'll walk through on what you need to do in order to get your website up and running.

When you produce something in iWeb, everything created is contained inside a folder, and basically, you just need to upload it to the hosting service. When you go to your website (with whatever domain name you choose, like www."yourdomain".com), it'll look for an index.html, and load that up as your main page. iWeb will automatically link all the pages that you create to your main page.

So in other words, you won't have to worry about anything other than making sure that when you upload the files, your index.html is in the root folder (usually a public_html folder on a hosting service) along with iWeb's folder structure intact. Am I making your head hurt already? :p

Oh and do play around with Dreamweaver for a little bit. Once you learn it, it's quite fun messing around with how web design works. Or you'll just give up and delete Dreamweaver. :p