A Graphical Localization Tool, any suggestion?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by disorderdev, Mar 21, 2011.

1. disorderdev macrumors newbie

I just created a graphical localization tool, I would like to hear feedback from you. it's not available yet, but you can watch the video: Localization Helper Video

I'm not sure whether it's OK to post it here, but the tool is for developers only, and I really would like to get some suggestions from developers.

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Hi Disorderdev,

Generally good work so far. Here's a list of my first thoughts:

• Generally use sheets and not modal dialogs.
    • Automatically run the project information sheet after creating a project.
    • After creating a project and setting the workspace path, automatically scan the project.
    • When importing .strings files, auto-detected the language from the name of .lproj directory.
    • Allow errors/issues when scanning to be saved and/or printed for later review/correction.
    • The language popup is cumbersomely large. Make it hierarchical so that language variants are in submenus.
    • Perhaps have the language popup only show languages that have been added to the project, we an other option which brings up a window with a searchable list of all the languages.
    • If you allow editing of the translation in the Translation/Language, allow editing of the language as well.
    • Add the ability to filter to keys which don't have a translation of a particular language.

But these are just my criticisms. Someone else (include yourself) might partially or wholly disagree. ;)

3. LocalVersion macrumors newbie

.strings only?

Are you considering adding support for .nib/.xib text extraction? It looks like it's only supporting .strings now?
    Best,
    Eduard

4. disorderdev thread starter macrumors newbie

To jiminaus:,

Thanks a million for your suggestions, this is the very first version, and I admit that there are a lot to improve, all of your suggestions are accepted, I'll try to add/correct them in the following version.

I'll send you a promo code, you know, it's been available today. thanks again.

5. disorderdev thread starter macrumors newbie

of course not, this is the first version, I'm planning to add more functionalities, including everything need to localize.

BTW, a promo code has been sent to you via message