A graphics card for mac, another for windows..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ramonesmania, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ramonesmania macrumors newbie

I got an early 2008 mac pro a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far. Everything is standard (2 2.8gz quad core xeon, 2gb ram, 320gb Hd + 500gb HD, 2600xt ) with the addition of another hard drive.

I want to install a radeon HD4650 1gb for use in windows only, so I don't want to flash it or use the injector.

Firstly, can anyone tell me how much of an improvement the HD4650 1gb would be over the 2600xt 256mb currently installed ?

More importantly though, lets say I install the HD4650 in the 2nd PCIe slot. Would I need to swap the DVI connector coming from the apple display to the HD4650 everytime I boot into windows to make full use of it and see the benefits ?

If I left the DVI connector hooked up to the 2600xt when I boot into windows would having the HD4650 in the PCIe slot beside it have any effect on performance ?

I know this is a very simple question that I should know the answer to, but I've always used single graphics cards in the past on windows machines.

Thanks in advance.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

A graphic card can not magically calculate data for a display not connected to it.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

1) The biggest thing about the 4850 is the 1GB memory (which will come in handy when gaming or dealing with large images and videos)

2) You'll need to swap the DVI cable each time yes, otherwise windows will be using the 2600XT

3) The card that's not connected to a display will have no effect on anything

Good luck :)
    - Michael

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Doesn't netkas' injector allow OS X to recognize the 4850? He'd only need one card, then.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yes in addition to nvidia's 2xx series.