a great idea...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by nlivo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

(well i think its a great idea)....(imagine this is what steve jobs would say when introducing the new iTunes)..."We have ratings, so you can rate your songs and organize them...5 stars, 4 stars, but these get out-dated. You might think a song is 5 stars but a month down the track you don't think it is worth of 5 stars anymore. Wouldn't it be nice if iTunes just figured out what your 5 stars were and then kept updating them so a month later they were automatically changed to 4 or 3 stars. Well, now you can. In iTunes you can set a preference so that if you play a song a certain number of time in one week, or day it automatically becomes 5 star, and you can set these up for all the different stars. So you could set it to make it if you don't listen to a song for 6 months it goes down to 1 star etc." he then shows an example "BOOM"

what do you think.

2. calculus Guest

calculus

3. NicP macrumors 6502

There is already a play count in itunes, why would you want 2 fields that are showing essentially the same data?

4. vandlism macrumors 6502

Automatic promotion rating? Yes. De-rating, no thanks. Just because I haven't listened to a song in a few months doesn't mean I don't think its fantastic. It just means that I'm constantly looking for new music and don't get stuck on one thing.

5. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes but a play count would show you the counts for the whole time you have had the song and maybe you have gotten really sick of that song....it would also take into account the amount of times you "skipped" that song

6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

not a bad idea, but what about the people (not me) who have massive, 20+ GB libraries? If you put it on shuffle, chances are you won't hear the same song a couple times in one week...

7. btallada9870 macrumors member

i think a great idea would be to have a song count as a play if it gets played more than 50% of the song. sometimes i listen to a song halfway through or 3/4 of the way through, but then want to listen to a new song. i feel that that should count as a play because i played that song. it's also annoying when you're done with a song but then there's like 7 seconds left of nothing and to get credit for playing that song you need to scroll to the end.