A GREAT MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warstrekkid, Jul 9, 2007.

1. warstrekkid macrumors newbie

Ordered it last week, got it today, and I've been absolutely satisfied with it. 15-inch, 2.2 Ghz, and a glossy screen, and everything's been working just fine. I've checked my screen and computer for many of the problems that I've heard about, but most of that seems just fine

I do have some questions, though:

- The hand rests are somewhat warm. Is that normal?

- Is it better if I keep my battery in when I'm hooked up on AC power, or should I unplug it from the wall when it's fully charged and let it run down the battery some?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's normal, it is using a fast processor and processors generate a lot of heat.

Keeping it plugged in is fine.

Congrats on the MacBook Pro!

3. Alloye macrumors 6502a

The warm hand rests are normal. Your MBP is a very powerful computer. With power comes heat. That heat has to dissipate somehow, and the aluminum enclosure of the MBP just happens to be a heat conductor. Therefore, unless it gets uncomfortably warm, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the battery, you should leave it in the computer. The charging circuit is smart enough that it doesn't continuously charge the battery. It actually lets it run down to ~90-95% before charging again. Just follow the calibration procedure recommended by Apple.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Just make sure that every few weeks you pull the MBP off power and run the battery down. This will ensure that the battery gets some work, and will mean the battery continues to function as it should for a long time. If you don't, in a few years you may find that the battery has a much shorter life, and eventually stops working altogether.

5. warstrekkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the battery advice; I'll be trying to keep this thing in good shape.

Another question: what's the best way to copy a dvd? I want to test to make sure the drive is working, and so I'm creating an image using the disk utility and planning to then put that on a blank one. It does, however, appear to be taking a very long time (>10 minutes), and I'm not sure if there's some 3rd party app that is better to use.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Well, considering the computer has to read the disk before it can save it, 10 mins isn't bad. If a DVD contains a 3 hour movie, and it is say a 16x read DVD drive (don't know what the MBP actually has) then it should take over 10 minutes to read, and therefore save to your hard drive. I expect it will then take ~25 mins to burn the new disk, at 8x.

This is a limitation of the DVD drive, nothing to do with software.

7. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

How's the glossy screen working with you? does it reflect things ALOT?!

8. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Dude people who have glossy screens like them such as me that's why they got them. Bottom line is you need to go to an apple store or retailer and look for yourself.

I completely understand your in-depth research, but ultimately this is what I and everyone else had to do as well.

9. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

well the problem is that im living in a stupid country where we get things awhile after you do....the new santa rosa laptop will be available here in couple weeks(as they said..who knows) so i cant wait until i go and buy it! thats why im spending time in searching and knowing macs more(im a switcher)...so i do have a glossy screen in my siemens laptop(128vcard as well)...and i do love it..does it mean that i will love the mbp's glossy screen aswell'??:eek: