Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I just noticed a tight group of stuck pixels in the upper left of my 2018 iPad Pro. It's not in the center of the display so I can live with it, but I have AppleCare+. I wonder if it's worth putting in a claim. I'm hoping it's as easy as getting a on-the-spot replacement. Anybody here with experience in this situation?

My Smart Keyboard also has some "wrinkling" on the outside of the case. I wonder since I bought together with the iPad it's covered under AppleCare+?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I would definitely make a claim with Apple regarding the stuck pixels. Since you have Applecare+ they will likely replace the iPad Pro. I don't believe they will send you a refurbished replacement but of that I'm not sure.

And while you're making the claim, mention the keyboard case to them.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The keyboard is not covered under Apple care + but might be covered under general warranty. But I’d suggest not to keep your hopes up for an exchange on that.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Actually the keyboard is covered under Applecare+ per the terms:

"The Plan covers the following equipment (collectively, the “Covered Equipment”): (i) the Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad (including an Apple Pencil and an Apple-branded iPad keyboard purchased for use with your iPad, referred to as “iPad Input Devices”), iPhone, iPod, or the Apple- or Beats-branded headphones listed on your Plan Confirmation (“Covered Device”), (ii) the accessories contained inside the original packaging of your Covered Device, and (iii) an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, and an AirPort Time Capsule, which are used with a HomePod or an iPad that is a Covered Device and are purchased no earlier than two years before the HomePod or the iPad (“Connectivity Device”)."

Let us know how you make out with Applecare on both.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

"The Plan covers the following equipment (collectively, the “Covered Equipment”): (i) the Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad (including an Apple Pencil and an Apple-branded iPad keyboard purchased for use with your iPad, referred to as “iPad Input Devices”), iPhone, iPod, or the Apple- or Beats-branded headphones listed on your Plan Confirmation (“Covered Device”), (ii) the accessories contained inside the original packaging of your Covered Device, and (iii) an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, and an AirPort Time Capsule, which are used with a HomePod or an iPad that is a Covered Device and are purchased no earlier than two years before the HomePod or the iPad (“Connectivity Device”)."

Wow thanks for pointing that out. How does it cover together with the keyboard?! Doe they have to be bought together?!

Reactions: kltmom

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Wow thanks for pointing that out. How does it cover together with the keyboard?! Doe they have to be bought together?!
The agreement seems to be saying no earlier than two years before the purchasing the Covered Device (in this case, the iPad), but I'm not sure how that works in real Applecare+ scenarios. The best way to find out is to chat with Apple Support to ask. I've done that on occasion to ask a hypothetical or general Applecare question.

Reactions: akash.nu

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
If you want to know what they’ll do, try calling and asking them. It’s just a phone call, and when you hang up you’ll know for sure.

I never understood why people will ask about Apple Care here instead of calling them. All you’re doing is wasting time (sometimes days!) waiting for answers that may or may not be correct. You paid for AppleCare so USE it!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I agree it's better to just ask Applecare. I prefer to chat (which is done via the Messages app) so that I have it in writing and can reference it if needed. I realize the Apple Support chat option isn't available in all countries though.

Reactions: muzzy996

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009

I will. :)
[automerge]1594494018[/automerge]
The agreement seems to be saying no earlier than two years before the purchasing the Covered Device (in this case, the iPad), but I'm not sure how that works in real Applecare+ scenarios. The best way to find out is to chat with Apple Support to ask. I've done that on occasion to ask a hypothetical or general Applecare question.
Yes, has to be bought together but Apple is unclear what’s included. There’s no support document that I know of that list what can be included with AppleCare+ when bought together with iPad or Mac. Very often the Apple Store sales rep don’t know, so I didn’t even ask when I bought the iPad.

Last edited:

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
If you want to know what they’ll do, try calling and asking them. It’s just a phone call, and when you hang up you’ll know for sure.

I never understood why people will ask about Apple Care here instead of calling them. All you’re doing is wasting time (sometimes days!) waiting for answers that may or may not be correct. You paid for AppleCare so USE it!
Ah, that’s because there’s official AppleCare policy versus what they‘ll do for you in reality. You might get someone who’s by the book, but knowing the unofficial policy you know you can just go back and try again. AppleCare+ insurance is generally good, but it can go the other way too where they make you jump through hoops when you file a claim. Sometimes I don’t get insurance even if it sounds good in theory because I know they’ll make you spend hours gathering paperwork for the claim.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I will. :)
[automerge]1594494018[/automerge]

Yes, has to be bought together but Apple is unclear what’s included. There’s no support document that I know of that list what can be included with AppleCare+ when bought together with iPad or Mac. Very often the Apple Store sales rep don’t know, so I didn’t even ask when I bought the iPad.
According to the agreement, it's clear what's included for the iPad. It's the Apple-branded pencils and keyboards. For Macs, it's:

"The Plan covers the following equipment (collectively, the “Covered Equipment”): (i) the Apple-branded Mac computer or display listed on your Plan Confirmation (including any Apple-branded stand and/or VESA mount included with or purchased at the same time as your Apple-branded display), and the Apple-branded accessories contained in the original packaging (“Covered Device”), and (ii) an Apple-branded mouse, Magic Trackpad, and keyboard if included with the Covered Device (or purchased with a Mac mini or Mac Pro), an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, AirPort Time Capsule, Apple memory modules (RAM) and Apple USB SuperDrive (“Mac Accessories”) if used with the Covered Device and originally purchased no earlier than two years before the Covered Device purchase."

Both of the Applecare agreement quotes in the thread are for the US. To view agreements for other countries and in other languages, go to https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/.
[automerge]1594497042[/automerge]
I'm not sure you have to buy them at the same time. I bought an Mac Mini and Applecare, and six months later bought a Superdrive and an Airport Extreme. When I checked with Support, both were covered under the iMac's AC. I believe all that is required is that you have a current Applecare plan for the device when you buy the accessory within that two-year limit as noted in the agreement. The AC coverage for the accessory ends when the device coverage ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luba

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
I had some issues with my 11 inch, I’m not near an Apple store, so they sent me replacement (albeit with a 800+ credit card hold). It was not brand new, but seems to be working fine. Was reassured that any issues with it and it would be replaced.

Spoke to Apple on Sunday evening and had the replacement device by lunchtime on Tuesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.