A guide to changing icons, please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mikegs, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Mikegs macrumors regular

I would like to:

1. Change some cydia app icons to the corresponding original icons (E.g. downloaded mBox mail from Cydia - but would like the original apple mail icon for this app. Same goes for an sms app downloaded from Cydia)

2. Change both original and cydia app icons to icons from the internet

3. Change the text below the icons, possible?

Anybody got the time and energy for a step-by-step guide for a beginner with a jailbroken iphone 4 on ios 4.0.1?

Thank you for your patience :)

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not going to hold your hand, because there is a wealth of info on this, I will point you in the correct direction.

To change icons you can do it with WinterBoard, which is a theme manager, or manually one at a time. Its called SSHing but in essence it involves uploading new icons to you phone. You can do this with Terminal, with a sFTP program, or with a program like PhoneBrowser/DiskAid.

If you use WinterBoard, install a theme from Cydia and then learn how they are structured.

To manually change an app's name, inside the App's folder on the phone, change the CFBundleDisplayName.

MacThemes and ModMyIphone are great resources, but the same deal applies. Do your research because no one will hold your hand.

3. Mikegs thread starter macrumors regular

Update

Installed Winscp and can now locate files on the iPhone

Guess I should locate the icon of the original mail program and the replace the icon file in the cydia app with this file. But what are the icons called? There are seveal .png's and some are icon@2(and something more)

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Traditionally its just icon.png.

Don't forget to give your new graphics the correct permissions.

5. Mikegs thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by traditionally? And what are the @2x.png for the?

Also unclear on the permissions(?), but it worked by replacing the icon.png with desired icon.png, now the cydia apps icons looks like the original icons! Thanks!

what is the location of the CFBundleDisplayName?

Thank you very much

6. Blue26 macrumors member

English.lproj
    Edit - InfoPlist.strings

(doing this for first time also, so someone holler if this is wrong)

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I highly recommend you buy iFile.

Traditionally means, usually.

Inside the application folder there is an info.plist file. find the line that says CFBundleDisplayName, and change the key line after that. Whenever you make changes like this you will want to respring.
    If your isioncs aren't changing, you can delete the var/mobile/Library/Caches/...Springboasrdiconcache and springboardiconcache-small folders. it will make all your icons disappear until you respring.