A Guitar Forum as Good as MacRumors - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by claimed4all, Feb 20, 2009.

1. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am starting to play guitar (acoustic) and I am curious if you guys know of any good guitar forums. I have belonged to some duds out there, and I belong to MacRUmors, the best forum I am a member of. So whats a good one to join into? Thanks.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ultimate-guitar.com is great if you stay out of the pit

3. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

Stay out of the Pit? Not up on me lingo here....

I see what the Pit is, looks like Bad News.. haha

4. thefnshow macrumors regular

5. MicBook macrumors regular

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well... since you're playing (acoustic) guitar, check out

The Acoustic Guitar Forum

There are a lot of knowledgeable and nice people there. No *******s.

7. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions. For now I have decided on The Acoustic Guitar Forum. Looks like a friendly place, and like Capt Underpants said, seems to be no Bull. Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have played guitar for 33 years and when the internet first came around to the masses, I looked for guitar stuff and found nothing of real worth. Even today, while the guitar sites have improved, there is no guitar equivalent to macrumors.com for Apple fans.

Part of the reason for this is that there are mostly semi-enthusiastic guitar players among the groups worldwide, where as Apple fans are almost universally very enthusiastic. Many a person, if not most, either get a guitar and never learn or tire of it when it gets too hard. And many once enthusiastic guitar players grow out of it thinking it was a juvenile pastime. Macs are different as most people who get them, at any age, use them and rarely leave the platform.

The only brand I have read about that has the same loyalty as Apple are Mazda (Miata owners) and Harley Davidson owners, and they still pale in comparison to Apple fans who are extremely interested in the latest developments at Cupertino. I don't see Miata or Harley owners wondering "what's next?" with the vehicle's evolution in next year's models. Usually, somebody who has a Harley or Miata are happy with what they have and call it a day. Many an Apple fan, give out great praise for developments like a less expensive iPhone with same features and breathe out flames of fire when Apple lets their customers down by not putting firewire into the new Macbook. There is no group so passionate about a product out there, short of a cult, like Apple fans, and Apple has, maybe justifiably been called a cult. :) And if there was a stronger word than cult, then some may feel Apple applies for that label.

10. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice insight, I have yet to find a group of people as enthusiastic as the people here about the products they buy and use.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

In all my years of playing guitar, the Gretsch guitar fans and the Rickenbacker guitar fans are really into their instruments for the same two reasons people love their Macs.

1) Very small visibility and market share both in the media and the guitar player down the street. In the guitar world, Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez are the Dell, HP, and Compaqs of the field. Apple is like the handmade, boutique Gretsch and Rickenbackers. Even when Gretsch and Rickenbacker do make more affordable models, people still believe they are not getting value for their money as they perceive those two guitar companies to be too narrow in scope. It's like the uneducated new computer user who thinks they can't use their Mac in corporate America after school.

2) The guitar world masses often laugh at Gretsch and Rickenbackers as niche guitars and gravitate toward what the rock stars are using in Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez.

Those three companies are what you see most often in guitar magazines. Gretsch and Rickenbacker fans almost feel a need to get equal citizenship status in the guitar world. Gretsch is not just for rockabilly and Rickenbacker is not just for British invasion/intelligensia rock no more than Apple is just for artists. :)

12. EB66 macrumors 6502

i like harmony-central forums....just an opinion though