A Handy Device

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shazaam!, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

I wanted to share with you a discovery that makes it easy to power down accessory devices such as monitors, printers, sound system components etc. when you either shut down or put your computer to sleep.

The Craftsman Auto Switch senses when your computer is in a low or no-power mode and shuts off power to anything plugged into the two additional outlets. $20 at Sears.

Attached Files:

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Might be useful for those who switch off their computers... but sleep mode might cause various issues, especially when USB devices are powered down.

...however computers in my home (all seven of them, plus displays, ups, routers, printers, backup drives) stay on twenty-four-seven. Last time i plugged in a kill-a-watt meter I'm pulling just under 2Kw/h. Bang goes the energy saver and green element!! lol :D

I do love my income :)

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

hey, and whatever you'd normally spend on gas or electricity to heat your home goes straight in your pocket! 7 machines! That's gotta be a lot of heat!

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh well, my studio is pretty warm in winter without additional heating, typically 25~27°C; during the summer however, the air conditioner comes on to regulate the room temperature. I could open the windows but I get heyfever!! :( So if you think about it, I'm using less energy during the winter :p

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Tell me about it. I only have a mac pro, dual displays and a macbook pro, but its in a 12x10 room (off the top of my head). That really warms it up!

I wouldn't want to know with your setup. Its great now in the winter, but summer can be a pain.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

2Kw/h seems pretty low for 7 computers plus all their peripherals.
    I mean your three 30" on their own should pull about 450W and a fully loaded MacPro uses about the same when running on 100%.