A Heads up for G3/G4 Logic board Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oantixo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. oantixo macrumors newbie

its not over til its over!
    If you have a iBook G4 or G3 With logic board issues send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley here http://sanjose.bbb.org. reference the logic board replacement or repair issues associated with the 2003 to early 2005 iBook logic board problems... Be detailed as to what the problem with the your logicboard is, i.e. "Loose chip" "Broken solder" if you had had a previous repair, how many times. yada, yada... and if apple gets enough complaints from the bbb you can bet your a$$ they will make some changes to their repair policy. good luck!
    If anyone has any info on this topic please feel free to add to the thread.

2. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

Well, they did offer to repair every machine with this problem -- at least the iBook G3's. Honestly, I think at this point there's not much anyone can do to get people worked up about this. Granted, there were a lot of people that got the machine repaired multiple times to no avail, but...

3. oantixo thread starter macrumors newbie

what pisses me off is i have a ibook i bought in 98 that still runs flawlessly yet the 05 ibook is sitting here with a broken logic board that works if you clamp the damn thing to a table. they should make good on the repairs. i spoke to someone at the bbb and they said this was a step in the right direction and it cant hurt if people try... it takes 5 minutes or less to file the complaint at a chance to have a your sleeping beauty brought back to life.
    Mine just crapped out again yesterday so im a little P-Oed at the moment.
    anf the fact that so many people have had it happen is b.s. plus the fact that other countries have laws that protect consumors from faulty engineering. which is what that is poor manufacturing and engineering.

4. robsc macrumors newbie

Could this be my logic board?

I was using my apple charger to charge my G4 and the power adapter was smoking!!!!!!!! Nothing happened to the screen at the time, but even with a new adapter, it will not take a charge. I tried a friend's battery and it worked until it ran out. What could this mean? Any advice would help. I do not have much money to fix it. Please help.

5. oantixo thread starter macrumors newbie

ac adapter

Well it sounds like the ac adapter port is fried its a easy fix if you are mechanically inclined. I had a friend with the same problem and he replaced the ac jack and the problem solved.

6. applebum macrumors 6502

I have an iBook G3 and I know that Apple gave a 3 year warranty for repairing faulty logic boards for that laptop. I never had a problem with mine and never had to take advantage of the warranty. I also have a Rev A G5 iMac. That version also had logic board problems and thus got a 3 year warranty to fix the logic board. I DID have to take advantage of that. I took it to an Apple Store and they fixed it free of charge. That was almost 2 years ago and I have had no further problems with it.

Is there any computer manufacturer that would give more than 3 years to fix a known problem?? I think it is a pretty fair policy that Apple has when there is a known logic board problem.

7. robsc macrumors newbie

Great suggestion, and thanks! That sounds a lot cheaper than a logic board. Thank you for taking the time to offer a suggestion. I am a new Mac user and appreciate it.