A hello (agian) and some PM G5 and PB G4 stuff

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chibiterasu, Jan 9, 2016.

1. chibiterasu, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Hello again,

It's been a very long time since I last posted here but that doesn't mean I have been rocking with PPC stuff,

Firstly I acquired two Powerbook G4 17" G4's from ebay both cheap for spars/repairs (one was a 1.5 the other a 1.67 both have the 256mb graphics non-hi res) with the with the intention of making one good one, which I did, although I still have nightmares about swapping over the LCD panels though as the one on the 1.67 machine was finished but the top cover was in far better condition than the one on the 1.5, everything else went smoothly, only one disc drive worked out of the two machines so all that sort of stuff was simple to do. But after about 6 months of daily use the inverter has decided that it doesn't want to work anymore. So I have the part but I haven't got around to disassembling it all again.

The Powermac G5 is more of a toy I guess (the powerbook stays at work as simple space sabving desktop replacement for word/excel, internet and the very odd bit of Photoshop as we dont have the space for desktop at the moment) I only brought it at the beginning of December its in better condition than the powerbook (which is understandable) its a dual 2.3 with the stock Ati 9600 and had 2gb of ram (2x1gb) but it was only £20 with a apple keyboard and mouse. It was all working fine up until just before Christmas when I had a look at my parts and found that i had another 2gb of ram. And then it didn't tun on, so did the whole unplugging, take out battery. It fired up I thought great. Then it goes and does it again at the end of December, so did everything I did before, even reseated everything still nothing except for the white power light coming on briefly when it was plugged in. So I jumped for a replacement power supply (£15 including p&p) it was a bit of a pain but no where near as bad as that Powerbook screen. But is solved the problem but there you go no way of knowing when a power supply is going to give up.

I was wondering whats everyone experience with the different brands of power supply for the G5 we all know they have a habit of letting go. In this case I removed the Samsung 450W and replaced with and ac-bel 450W. I don't know if i'm correct but were ac-bel used in the earlier single processor G5's. Anyway just wondering on everyone's thoughts on this??

P.s I hope everyone had a great new year :)

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

AcBel was pretty common with the later G5s and Samsungs in the earlier models. My 2.3 did have a Samsung in it, but my 2.7s had AcBels in them (600w I believe).

3. chibiterasu thread starter macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Oh rights that's interesting, I know that AcBel made every model at some point (450w 600w 710w and 1000w) on the other make fronts I have only seen Samsung 450w, liteon 600w and 1000w, and a delta 710w.

Oh right that could mean then in the early 2005 models that Samsung were doing the 450w in the dual 2.0 & 2.3 while AcBel were doing the 600w (which is right) for the dual 2.7.

I still wonder what the rough failure rates are across the different manufacturers are.