A Hidden Gem

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by ncbetz, Aug 4, 2016.

1. ncbetz macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Hi,

I found this "hidden gem" a few months ago. It gives you SD movies for $1 and HD movies for $2. I know what your thinking, probably just a bunch of cheap old movies that nobody likes. Actually, it has all the latest movies, and gets them a few days before Amazon and iTunes (from what I can tell, this is 90% of the time).

The other thing they have is content filtering. It allows you to filter out scenes or mute words. But, you do not have to use this feature. You could simple just disable all filters and you have your movie, as a great price!

I just wanted to share this with you, as it is a great deal. I have been able to get 4x as many HD movies now than I normally would.

Oh wow, forgot to mention the name. It has an app, and is called "VidAngel"(click for website), and is in the tvOS App Store. This video explains how it is only $1 (or $2). Oh, it is also in the iOS App Store for iPad and iPhone, plus on many other streaming boxes or whatever there called.

You just repeat that process 20 times. Then, you put $20 in your account. It is a brilliant and great service.

I hope you guys like this as much as I do!

Noah

2. benjitek, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Would be better if they had a way to view their library listing without creating an account. Not much for the 'sell-it-back' method -- which only works if you watch, and then sell-it-back, within 24 hours. If you forget, that $1 rental remains a $20 charge on your credit card. Just charge whatever the rental price is and be done with it.

Will be interesting to see how all those copyright lawsuits play out. The legal teams at Disney, Warner Bros., Lucasfilm, and 20th Century Fox seem to feel they have enough to take it all to federal court. The studios are seeking a jury trial, attorney fees, unspecified damages and VidAngel's profits from the streaming and for VidAngel and its affiliates to stop streaming works from the studios.

3. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

The sell-back means people will come back and use up their credits. Here, let me go take a screenshot of library for you. :) Or video, it is big.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They do it that way because they're using a loophole to keep the prices low: effectively you are buying the movie and then selling it back to them

5. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Well, yes, but they already own the movie.

6. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Nah -- not a business model I'm interested in. Don't think it will be around all that long in it's current form once the studio lawsuits are finished. Sounds like another Aero... :confused:

7. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Yeah, I was reading about this earlier. This blog post explains the basics, and why they think they can win.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2016 ---
    Eh, here is a quick little scroll of the videos. They said they have a few thousand.

The quality is low since it just uploaded.

8. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Yeah... the "why they think they can win" claims are very similar to the statements Aero issued prior to the service being shuttered. Federal copyright court... jury trial... legal teams from 4 major studios... enjoy the 'gem' while you can ;)

9. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Yep, I will! I guess I will be using up the last of my credits while I can.

10. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Kind of hard given their extremely limited library. I created an account just to see what they offered, couldn't find a 'next-page' button, because there isn't one :eek: