A hobby at making videos?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TravisReynolds, Dec 8, 2008.

1. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

Is there anyone else out there like me that enjoys making videos. I want some ideas on what else I can do.

Like I film weddings for my relatives and I love doing that liek editing the video and stuff, and I want more work. Not just weddings but something fun.

I do not want to liek hire peopel and make a movie, I just liek filiming and editing.

Is there anybody out there who does stuff like this but like doesnt make an actual movie?

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I'm sure there's plenty of people! I'm one myself.

I guess the only thing I'm confused on is if you're looking to make any money for it, but judging from your 'hobby' title I'm guessing no.

I've shot weddings (both photo and video) for friends, but I video all sorts of things and edit just for myself. Do you have any other hobbies? I fly RC airplanes, so I'm filming and photographing all the time when I'm up at the field with friends. I also like hiking on vacation and that provides plenty of opportunity.

I guess you can film just about anything for fun especially if you just enjoy the whole process as much (or more) than the end result as I do. Find things near you. It'd be easy to find all kinds of sports activities, parks, city life, wild life or just about anything else. If you're younger and in school I'm sure you can find students in bands who'd love to have you make a music video for them or do a shoot for their myspace page. If you're really open to shooting 'anything' (within reason) put a post up on craigslist and offer your services for free or cheap. Just be careful who you get involved with.

Grab the camera and go! You'll find something.

Wayne

3. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

well right now i go to film school,
    but
    when i was in high school i together with friends and made short funny movies.
    also when your friends have a party make a montage about the party. Spice it up with some music and you got a great gift.

also if you live near a major city, try getting some footage and make a montage about the city.
    look around try to get unusual shots.

4. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

I like making videos for youtube, i like broadcasting myself :D

5. polar-blair macrumors regular

I Love all sorts of creative media, like Graphic Design, Art, Web Design, Sound production and Video Design so It was a really tough choice choosing which ones I would make a career (or at least try to) but now Im doing Graphics at collage I decided to leave my video projects as a hobby.

I got really inspired by seeing what people can do with very little, there are some really good indie films on youtube and maybe if you have an independent film cinema near by you should check them out. But a feature length film may be a bit of a large task to start out with.

I have a few short films planned out, no real story, but enough to let the viewer understand whats going on simple, concepts like the one Im doing at the moment is a chase seen, Bad guy worth gun chasing another guy, pretty simple but lots of fun to do.

Also I made some little comedy sketches with my brother and cousin, which was lots of fun to do and kept us busy for the week. Get your friends involved and just have fun coming up with some cool ideas then post them on youtube for everyone to see :)

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I had a friend who took a family trip. I volunteered to edit his 6+ hours of footage into a more entertaining 30 minute vacation video. Now, rather than bore his friends with 6 hours of vacation footage, he has a 30 minute segment that's far more interesting and digestible. I was happy to have the editing practice.