a hopefully different iMac ssd question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chris Morgan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Chris Morgan macrumors member

Newbie here so be gentle. I have a 2011 iMac with the standard 1tb drive. If I was to purchase an apple ssd from say a current Macbook Pro, would I have fan issues? I don't necessarily want to add the ssd to it but rather replace the 1tb drive with the ssd. I know they are not the fastest drives around, but that really doesn't concern me. I want an ssd without having to run software to control the fans. Thanks everyone.

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

That will depend on the firmware on the ssd, why not send an email to Apple support asking them? I don't think anyone can help you unless they done this already.

I replace the stock 1TB hard drive with a 3rd party ssd, I had to buy a software to manually control the hard drive fan speed.

3. iLidz, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you getting a really good price on the oem SSD? It almost seems worth it just to add the SSD to your machine and not worry about the fans....

4. Chris Morgan thread starter macrumors member

It was a brand new still sealed 256 Toshiba drive for $300 shipped. I thought it was a good deal. Right now I'm running an OWC 240 gig sata 2 ssd and some fan software but to me it is not ideal.

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Unless the ssd came from a 2011 imac, there is no wat to know if it will work with the hard drive fan. Also there wouldn’t be much speed differences between the two drives.

I use imac HDD fan control to adjust hard drive fan after replacing the stock HD with ssd. The software cost me $35 inc 20% tax, not cheap imo but does the job perfectly.

If you already have a ssd maybe this software is the best solution?