A Horror Story, And A Suggestion!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DamienAddicted, Jan 31, 2010.

1. DamienAddicted macrumors newbie

Ok, so for my second post, I'm going share a heart stopping moment with you. I'm sitting in the garage, having a cigarette, (I don't smoke in the house) watching a movie on the mac. I put out my smoke, pack up my pockets, pick up the mac, embrace it in my arm safely and no different then any other time. I get inside, I softly set down the mac, and walk away to go to the washroom. I come back, (yes, I washed my hands. lol) and sit down to the mac. I go to start the movie back up after pausing, and nothing happens. No movement of the mouse what-so-ever. I tap it, click it, double tap it, and still nothing. At this point, I'm in a PANIC! Heart is racing in my chest, and this sense of utter doom came over me. I didn't get a warranty yet, (I won my macbook, and have procrastinated on buying the warranty.) nor did I back up my drive! I press CTRL-Q, and the movie closes. I 4 finger swipe, program list comes up, but still no mouse movement. I played around a bit more, and found that nothing else was effected, except mouse movement. So now I'm screwed, right?
    Wrong.
    If you have file corruption, or your mouse stops working, or your drive won't properly verify, say when using Onyx, then here is an easy fix, and one that EVERY MAC USER SHOULD KNOW!

Hold down shift, and keep holding it. Now push and hold your power button to power down your mac. KEEP HOLDING SHIFT!!! Power your mac back up, while holding shift, and don't release until you see the apple logo and the white screen, with the loading wheel spinning. I like to keep holding shift for at least 30 seconds past this point, just to be sure.

What this does:
    Holding shift while turning on your mac will boot OS X in safe mode. While this is being done, all of your files, plugins, and all the fun stuff that are vital to the core operations of the mac, are inspected and restored automatically. (might not be those exact items restored, but it fixes it most times anyways. lol, I'm no pro. :) )

Once your mac has finished turning on, and all is well, restart your mac normally, without the shift key. Everything should be handled, and you should have control of your wonderful mac once again.

If you have tried this, and are still experiencing difficulties, then there is something unknown going on, and I would suggest consulting a professional, or ask around here, or other mac forums and websites that offer tips and advice.

I successfully restored my mac to it's normal capabilities, and my heart rate slowed. I still don't know what happened, and it's literally the very first "glitch" I've ever experienced on my mac. I've had it for over a year now, and I use it literally every day, for many, many hours.

I hope my story either entertains or helps you all!!!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Did you not consider a simple restart to fix the issue you found? I doubt safe mode would have been entirely necessary.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed :)
    I have found just restarting solves most of these common issues for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. DamienAddicted thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup.

Yes, I powered down completely, and then turned it back on. When everything had finished, everything was normal. When I tried to move the cursor, nothing, it still didn't work. I booted in safe mode, then back to regular, and the problem was solved. Thankfully. :)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That was left out of your original story

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. DamienAddicted thread starter macrumors newbie

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

8. DamienAddicted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I was scared. Lol. I had to do that once before, (safe boot) because I ran Onyx, and my volume wouldn't verify by one file. I did online research and learned how to boot in safe mode, which at the time I was told would fix my problem, which it did. :)

9. MarcusH macrumors newbie

Often the solution. Wasn't there even a Star Trek episode where they completely turned-off and rebooted the whole of The Enterprise to fix something? :)

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do" ?

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You could've just held down shift after initiating a normal restart. Holding shift while forcing a hard shutdown isn't necessary for Safe Mode. Heck you can wait for the startup chime before holding shift.

FYI

12. MarcusH macrumors newbie

Ah! HAL! [​IMG]