A humourous endeavor. Comments?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ZiggyPastorius, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

This is not 100% related to digital audio, but at the same time, it is.

First, the story, but the actual topic is what people think of the plan (i.e. Am I an idiot? Am I unresourceful? Am I going to be sorely disappointed? Et cetera)

So, basically, I'm planning on attending Berklee College of Music in Boston in the fall of 2009, and as part of all the major programs offered there, incoming freshman are required to purchase a $3000 laptop program, which includes not only a nice Macbook Pro (15"), but also includes the applecare plan, plus Finale, Smartmusic, Logic Express, a keyboard/Midi interface, and a ton of other music programs for the laptop. Now, Logic and Finale/Smartmusic are not for the actual courses/majors they offer there, but are just extra things for the students as musicians. Now, here's what I'm going to do...

Besides planning on doing that laptop program (which is required), I plan on buying a new Macbook this January with Logic Express for my pre-college composition/recording needs. All this is going to cost me around $1800, and I won't even mention the fact that I already own Finale and Smartmusic (cost me like $600). So, basically, I'm getting a bunch of redundant programs, which will just be acquired again in a year and a half. Am I crazy? Am I stupid? I'm definitely unresourceful, but, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think a price can be put on the education value of getting Logic and stuff before I actually attend college?

I know this is not that pressing of a question for the forums, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear your guys' thoughts.

Thanks =]

2. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Wow... that really is an awful lot of money to be spending if you'll get the same thing when you start your program. I suppose you need to decide whether the amount of use this new setup will get is worth the $1800 investment. If so, go for it. Otherwise maybe wait it out...

3. juxtaposer macrumors regular

It's always useful to learn these things in the comfort of your own home, so in that way I would definitely say it would be a smart move. But at the same time, Logic is quite a simple and easy-to-use program. So most of your time with Logic will just be spent honing your skills to perfection. Of course there are little tricks here and there that you perhaps wouldn't learn at Berklee. Also it would give you a slight head start over other students (which might give you a bit of breathing space at the beginning of your first semester). If you can afford the $1800, then go for it. Also, eBay is always there when you need to sell the MacBook, so it could be a very good investment. All in all, weigh up your options and go for whichever suits you best. Good luck and all that :)

4. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thanks, guys =] I'm definitely going to still go for it, I just wanted to know how crazy I really am xD Thanks for the replies.

5. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Not entirely sure about this but there may be tax advantages to waiting until school enrollment and going with the school purchasing program... Unless you have money just burning holes in your pockets right now, I'm not sure why you'd want to buy now and then be made to buy their package.

I would wait and just get the school package. It's going to be expensive enough going to Berklee and even if you have the cash, you could put it away and make a good investment of it. As many a starving musician can attest, it's never too early to start a savings plan!

6. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Oh, dude, yes. I have $1 in my wallet right now, and if I don't get rid of it, I'm afraid I'll start losing body weight because of the excess strain required to carry the weight of my money.

:p Just messing. But, yeah.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

Buy whatever you want, but make sure you are not going into debt over it.

You may change your mind about what school you want to attend lots of times in two years. I know I did. Keep all of your options open, and get comfortable with the music programs you like in the mean time.