A hypothetical situation. Edit: Solved. No need to keep open :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ZiggyPastorius, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So, let's say you're like 20 years old...19...18...whatever, less than 21. So, you're a completely straight kid - finished first in your class, no drugs, alcohol, none of that...but one day, you happened to get drunk. You didn't get super drunk, no driving, none of that, but a friend of your's did video tape it, and put it on youtube. Now, say they won't take it down from youtube, and you're worried that this one stupid situation could get you arrested, ruin your life, et cetera...what would you do?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i dont think that a youtube video can get yo arrested. im pretty much sure it cannot. youtube videos are not legal in any way, and they have to catch you with alcohol to get arrested

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

However, a plethora of things could happen. A firing from one's job could happen, a college could find it and not accept you based on it, or a bunch of stuff like that. Even worse, a mother could find you.

Edit: I didn't mention that in this hypothetical video, let's say there's one spot where you are seen drinking.

I'm definitely not doing that. I wouldn't want such a video, if it existed, to spread.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Well, a youtube video can lead to arrest in the UK.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article68832.ece

It´s happened in the US too on several occasions.
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/03/18/YouTube_video_leads_to_arrests/UPI-57041205875582/

So if this was a friend, I would have him take it down immediately. The problem is now, that even if he doesn't take it down, some else may have downloaded it by now, and they might be able to put it back up.

Nonetheless, I don´t think anything will happen all in all unless what you did crosses over into the felony side of things and a law enforcement officer watched the video.

It´s sad that technology is ruining kids' ability to just go have fun and do stupid things everyone in a while and forget about it.;)

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm pretty sure you can report to youtube that you are being harassed. Good luck. :)

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I know. It was a joke.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not like you were shooting heroin or smoking crack.

But if I were you, I would go kick that friend squa in the nuts.

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I would have the hypothetical friend edit the hypothetical video to blur out this hypothetical person's face and repost the now edited hypothetical video....hypthotically, of course.

8. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All right, well, since it was pretty obvious...

I talked to my friend and he said he'd take them down. They were added early this morning, and at the time I checked, there had been no views. Hopefully, if he takes them down within the next few hours, I'll be fine.

Hope no one's passing judgment on me, by the way :eek:

Thanks for the help, everybody.

Although, I will admit...the videos are kind of funny.

Is underage drinking a felony in the US? Or just a misdemeanor?

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The only thing I'd worry about is Mom finding out.:D

Doing something that you while not at work and doesn't affect your job performance, is no ground for an employer to fire you. College not accepting a drinker?:confused: College students are notorious binge drinkers.:p Unless you plan on running for government office, this should barely register. Heck, it might not even matter then.:eek: A certain President once confessed to smoking marijuana although he didn't inhale.;)

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Underaged drinking is maybe the least enforced criminal violation in the United States. Here's the thing--it's very doubtful the police would care to investigate. And I doubt a college would run across the video, be sure it was you, and then rescind your admission. In fact, if something like that happened, I'm sure you could sue--is a YouTube video sufficient proof that you were drinking alcohol? And even if you didn't win your suit, it would be a big pain to the university, and it wouldn't really bother.

That said, the "mom" factor is the big one, so it's good your friend is going to take down the video. Next time, avoid doing things about which you're embarrassed--particularly on camera.

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I think you're probably ok. I am not a lawyer, but from a legal perspective they'd need to prove you were consuming alcohol in the video, and not drinking water from a bud bottle, for example. Here's a real life example: My dad once got rear ended by a drunk driver, the police followed the driver back to a house, but he went inside before they got there. They were able to arrest him for leaving the scene of the crime (and as it turns out stealing his friend's car) but since they did not get him in custody until he was sober they could not prove the drunk driving allegation.

As far as the video being downloaded/spreading around, if your name is not attached to it that will help, since no one can search for you without information. You did the right thing having it taken down, but consider that the odds of someone you know randomly finding this video down the road to be fairly slim.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Besides you could just claim that you were in a country with a younger drinking age at the time of recording. IE. here in the UK the drinking age is 18, in some parts of Europe its as low as 15/16 depending on the alcohol consumed.

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sigh, kids these days just aren't learning! Remember if you're going to tell a lie, consistency and repetition is the key. You should have practiced responses like this:
    • I wasn't drunk, I was acting drunk for my friends video.
    • That wasn't real vodka in the bottle, that was just water.
    • To get my eyes all blood-shot like that I lit incense and stood over the smoke.
    • Did you like all that stumbling I did in the video? The secret to making it realistic is spinning around to get dizzy before each take.

EVIL DOER!! Whatever, just as long as you learned your lesson. ;)

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Ziggy: It's a citation.

Beat the living **** out of your friend for not respecting your wishes once you conveyed how serious you were. Clowing on something is one thing, completely ignoring their concerns is another.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

All you hypothetically did was get drunk?

Man, I was thinking you hypothetically got plastered, hypothetically robbed a bank, then hypothetically burned the bank down to get rid of the evidence, and finally hypothetically killed a guy that tried to mug your bank money. :eek:

Well if none of the above hypothetically didn't happen, then I'm sure you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Underage drinking is too common for the cops to really worry about. As others have said, the mom & pop finding out factor would be the biggest scare.

16. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

It is hardly worth a cops time to track down every young-looking person in a youtube video drinking, find out if they are actually under 21, and issue a drinking ticket. far easier to walk in to any frat house on any campus just about any night.

Your only worry should be about your mother seeing it.

Unless you plan on running for political office or plan on being a beauty queen, I wouldn't worry about it effecting any jobs.

17. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Flag it as harassment.

Youtube will remove it.

18. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So much to respond to :p

I understand it's not likely, but I'm just a bit afraid it going to happen. Nothing to worry about now, though ;) It's gone.

I'm actually worried LEAST about my mom. While I was inebriated, I was going to call my mom and tell her, and I also considered it this morning sober, simply because...I tell my mom everything (sex life, drinking, et cetera), and it's that reason that she trusts me so much...if she found out I did this and didn't tell her, I'd probably be in bigger trouble than if I just told her. No big deal now, though :)

lol, I'm sure they'd find some loophole :p And yeah.

Well, I'm actually 17...

Well, I was saying that about my "hypothetical" skit. I was saying it's pretty obvious that it was me, and not a "hypothetical" question. :p

I did. Kind of.

Also, there was a part with me drinking, though...it was actually me taking a drink of a Bud to prove to Alex I'm not drunk. (I was drunk, and my method of proving was to drink beer, because I hate beer, and then be disgusted by it, which I was. Pretty smart plan, huh?)

Well, I'm not violent. (I'm a pacifist, actually). Reason I don't feel that way about it, though, is...I was drunk when I said it, and my exact words were actually..."No! I don't want it to live forever!" and then later I said something about not wanting it on Youtube, so I could almost understand him not taking it seriously. But, also, I asked him to take them down, and he gave me the pass and stuff and said "Do whatever you want with them," so it turned out okay.

Yeah, all I did was drink. Joe was the sober one, so he drove, even though he has no license :p. So, basically, if we got stopped by the cops, we were screwed either way. (Though he does know how to drive..he's older than me, and all he needs to do is get his parents to take him down there to get the license).

Yeah, probably.

I did, but they're already gone, so it's all right.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, it was Smirnoff.

Anyways, thanks for nobody being mad at me :eek:

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Pure bit o' drunk logic there... which is why you've got to be careful with any decision you make under the influence (i.e. hitting on girls, public confessionals, dancing, driving, jumping off of things), it could lead to disaster (well at the very least some embarrassing stories to be told again and again). Not that I'm speaking from experience. :cool:

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This was the worst, most pathetic attempt at hypothetical-ness (new word) I have ever seen. :p

21. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

22. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Haha, yes, I know. I'm not a big fan of drinking. The only decision I made during it was asking my Fiancée to marry me. It's okay, though, because we're already engaged :p

yeah, I know, haha. I wasn't meaning it to be that convincing. I expected people to figure it out the first post.

23. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear