a Jailbreak could significantly improve iOS 7 usability

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pickaxe, Nov 11, 2013.

1. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Once a jailbreak arrives the following additions should be among the first to arrive, as they only slightly modify existing OS features and are fairly obvious:

1) ability to change the icons.
    2) ability to change animation speed modifier.
    3) make Control Center and the homescreen interactive while the animation is still playing.
    4) add and customize toggles and app shortcuts on Control Center.
    5) some hack to reenable album sorting under artist in music app.
    6) black UI theme that toggles automatically at night.
    7) F.lux
    8) Additional icons per folder page

...etc.
    A version of iOS 7 with all of these enabled should be much more useable and 40% less hideous.

2. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking iOS 7 is not a good idea, things that ppl don't realize ... until it happens.

iOS 7 runs slow enough, jailbreaking it is gonna be catastrophic. Everything is written for and loaded on to MobileSubtrate. The more that's loaded on that extension, the slower it gets over time and you can forget about loading Winterboard for skinning and theme'ing a new look for iOS 7. I would just manually change all the icon by replacing all the png files, but that's as far as anyone should go.

You'll see more stuttering, lag and massive batt drains on top of the current iOS 7 performances across the board.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds we'll have to see how it goes before we really spend much time worrying about all of that.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you are so wrong… a jailbreak won't make iOS7 be slower or cause it to lag.

5. Xiph0s macrumors regular

Or you can just put the phone back to iOS6 if you are going through the hassle of jailbreaking it.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can't do that from 4S and up

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You don't seem to know much about JB'ing, do you?

All my (numerous) JB'n iDevices are OK without major speed degradation. The secret is simple: just don't install every single tweak and stay away from themes.

8. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

I think that all of these things will eventually be available though a jailbreak. Though, don't expect them to be through the same methods that we've been using up until now.
    Example: WinterBoard. I suspect either it will be completely rewritten or a new app will take it's place, but its going to take a long time for that to happen. That's kind of a shame considering I'm making a theme for iOS 7 at the moment...

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I can't say any of them would be too important to me, but I very much look forward to an iOS7 jailbreak for the following reasons -

1) being able to change default apps and get rid of Apple Maps fully.
    2) Access to the file system.
    3) Giving third party webkit implementations full javascript rendering speed.
    4) Tweaking Control Center (Airplane mode requiring a passcode if locked, replacing AirDrop with something that has any use whatsoever like Bluetooth file transfer, and holding the wifi button as a shortcut to take you to the network selection screen as Auxo did).
    5) Being able to view and hopefully modify the criteria iOS uses to allow apps to background.
    6) Put back the a-z indicators in the music app irrespective of the number of artists or songs.
    7) Make the today screen actually good.

10. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Ios 7 runs slow?

Since when?

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'd have to disagree with "significantly" improve.

1) ability to change the icons.

This sounds great except for the fact that you spend an aweful amount of time trying to find themes otherwise your icons look like they've been frankensteined. (Main reason why I never used Winterboard themes..)

2) ability to change animation speed modifier.

I can get behind this. Sure, let us adjust the speed.

3) make Control Center and the homescreen interactive while the animation is still playing.

its only like a .5 second delay. I still don't see why people make such a big deal over this.

4) add and customize toggles and app shortcuts on Control Center.

Agree 100%.

5) some hack to reenable album sorting under artist in music app.

This will probably come with an update like 7.1 or 7.0.4.

6) black UI theme that toggles automatically at night.

This is an interesting concept but not practical. What if you are out with friends at night? Should it go dark on you if you are in a well lit room because its 10pm? I'm not a fan of managing features/settings I want to just use the phone. (main reason I left Android OS. I dont want to tinker with things any more).

7) F.lux

As interesting as this app was for me on Android I didn't care enough about it to keep it installed.

8) Additional icons per folder page

100% agreed. I wish they would bring back the 4X4 grid.

I'm not a fan of Jailbreaking. I've done it multiple times with multiple phones I've owned and the conclusion has always been the same.

1. "Is this mod/tweak helping or hurting my system?" Doesn't matter what the mod does. There is always something negative about it

2. I got tired of seeing blank grey icons that require a respring to fix.

3. Bloatdom. the more jailbreak tweaks you install and remove the more bloaty the OS gets.

12. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

iOS doesn't require jailbreaking any more, unless you pirate software.

/thread

13. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

iOS 7 doesn't run slow. It simply has slow animations.

14. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Absolute BS. See for example f.lux or Background Manager. Both (and particularly the former) are essential.

Lolz.. you can't deny you know nothing about JB'ing. FYI: you can pirate even w/o jailbreaking. Ever heard of signing tools, easily usable by even non-techies?

----------

For you. Probably you haven't used your tab in the night?

15. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

You must have lots of high attention to detail issues because that couldn't be far from the truth.

16. E2EK1EL, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

I've been jailbreaking since 2007, tested every version released.

"The secret" to keep things smooth as possible on a JB iDevice, keep your mobilestubstrate addons as light as possible and avoid using the infamous "rock" extension from Intelliborn, which now has been bought out by Saurik.

All the UI tweaks, Winterboard themes and other apps, they all run on mobilestubstrate.

Winterboard + iOS 7 = Crawling

Best way to change icons, replace the png files of each icon one by one.

Attached Files:

17. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

On the iPhone 4, it runs slow.

Android slow.

The kind of slow where you can start typing a message, set the phone down, then watch all the letters appear on the screen several moments later.

Yeah, that slow.

18. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Just need BiteSMS for some sort of quick reply as well as f.lux… I can't really say there's much more else I would need.

I refuse to go to iOS 7 because of no quick reply.

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Saurik talking about how WinterBoard works http://www.reddit.com/r/iOSthemes/c...hemed_aplo_removes_the_unecessary_lag/cdcbm5f

20. Caithsith macrumors member

I don't know if that true but everything i hear about jailbreak is a question of security. other thing is... dont you loose the guaranty?

21. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Interesting Saurik is suggesting to delete the plist, that's the last thing anyone would have thought of and it's the #1 thing not to delete, in case we need to mod the values in it. Like the Good old days before 3Gunrestictor, modify the plist.

Thanks for posting that up.:)

22. bransoj macrumors 6502a

If you need to go to an Apple store for some reason a simple restore will remove the Jailbreak and they will never know!

23. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Yeah, because all Android devices are slow...

I realise this is a forum for wildly inaccurate observations so I should probably let that slide but coming out with uninformed rubbish like that is ridiculous.

24. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

There's only two reasons i'd jailbreak for:

• The ability to disable parallax while keeping animations turned on

• Spotify integration with Siri

25. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Jailbreaking always seems like a good idea, but the jailbreak app store/marketplace is a MESS. Finding the right jailbreak has always been difficult for me. It just has never been a smooth process. Although I agree with many of your points, at this point, I really like iOS 7 as it is, and nothing annoys me enough to want to sift through the jailbreak market. Not worth it.