A Job for SuperDuper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speekez, Dec 30, 2009.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Greetings. I just did a clean install on my Mac Pro tower of Snow Leopard and resintalled all of my Applications. THis took a long time, but I wanted the clean install. I want to:

1. Make a bootable backup of my system disk, including applications, that I can use to reinstall should the system disk fail.

2. I want to use that bootable backup to install the same system and all the apps on my Mac Pro laptop -- I sorta dread doing a clean install on it and reinstalling all the apps again.

Would SuperDuper be able to make a copy capable of doing both these things?
    thanks

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Not sure about superduper but i know CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) will do such a thing.

3. dbwie macrumors 6502

Yes, SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner will do #1. For #2, you can do a clean install of the OS on your laptop, and then use Apple's built in migration assistant to move over your user account and applications from your SuperDuper backup. Or you can use migration assistant with the Mac Pro in target disk mode connected directly to the laptop for the transfer. This is the procedure I use for moving stuff from an old Mac to a new one. There may be some computer specific files that aren't present if you try to clone the OS from the desktop to the laptop (?)

EDIT: to be safe, you should use SuperDuper to make a backup of both your Mac Pro and laptop before doing all of this. :)