Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Would you watch specific games on your Apple TV if you could order the individual game for a small fee? Let's say you aren't a big enough fan for the subscription package but you wanted to watch a particular NHL/MLB/NBA game for 99 cents or some similar. I could see his being an extra source of revenue for the leagues.

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Cheap, a la carte games make lots of sense from a consumers point of view...from the providers point of view, I am not so sure, as I would think it would actually cut into their revenue, not increase it...

For example, if you're a fan of an NFL team, and live out of market, and want to see every game your team plays, you pretty have to pony up for the full price of NFL Ticket...at what, $200? Sure, you actually then get ALL the NFL games, but if you only care about your team, most of those games go to waste, even though you're still paying for them...

If they went with a la carte model, how many people do you think would drop the full package option, and only pay the few bucks to watch the handful of games that actually interest them? My guess, quite a few...

Hopefully, a la carte pricing model...not just of sports, but for channels and TV shows will become the norm... we're still a long way away from that I am afraid...

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
If we ever see an a la carte model, it'll be with prices far north of 99 cents.

I would think MLB would be in the range of 2.99 per game, NBA 4.99 and NFL 7.99.

You would be expected to pay a premium above the market price (i.e. $125 for MLB right now/162 games = .77 approx. per game) You then would have to add a premium.

I would like a la carte, but IMO, something like the above would be in place to give incentive to buy by the season rather than per game.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If we ever see an a la carte model, it'll be with prices far north of 99 cents.

I would think MLB would be in the range of 2.99 per game, NBA 4.99 and NFL 7.99.

I think even those prices are too low in the minds of the leagues. Think of it from this angle. How much does a ticket to the game cost? Football games are what, $50 a ticket? How about MLB, a seat in the cheepy section might be $15.

So I would guess that an ALC live feed of an MLB game might be around $10. They gotta figure that the average fan would buy two tickets, so that have to recoup that.

NFL would probably be even more ... $25 to $30. The NFL is more of an "event".

I remember a while back, there was talk about allowing cable providers to show first run movies at the same time they were out in the theaters. I think the studios were looking to get $40 a pop for you to watch at home (for the blockbuster type movies).

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.