A Laser Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shaun.P, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I really need to get a printer to use for University and various odds and ends. I don't do masses of printing, and I print mostly monochrome text.

I've always used inkjet printers in the past, but I'm thinking about a laser printer this time around. They're fast and efficient - and can print thousands of copies before needing new toner. I have been doing some research and a lot of the laser printers out there are not Mac compatible. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a laser printer for their Mac, and if they'd recommend it? I'm looking to spend no more that £80-90 (so we'll say $160).

Is there anything you'd particularly recommend? Any brands you'd recommend? (Canon, Epson, HP, Brother, Xerox.. etc?).

Thanks for the help,

Shaun

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a Brother, and recommend it! Works seamlessly with my Mac.

If you can afford it, get the ethernet one, that makes it very versatile (attach to a router, etc).

I can't afford that, so got the USB one. No complaints though!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Only ever purchased HP mono lasers for work; never a problem... I'll move this into the Buying Tips forum.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Ditto on this. Their newer model is $99 U.S.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have a Brother attached to a Mac Mini, absolutely no problems.

6. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Okay thank you for the quick replies! Brother seems to be popular!
    Which models are you using?

Apart from the toner, do you need to replace any other parts? Like the drum? I'm just looking for something to print off essays and PDFs. :)

Thanks again.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

HL 2030 bought from Amazon UK about £60 GBP .. :)

8. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Get a Canon!

They invented the laser and certainly produce great quality prints with high long term reliability.

Most people don't know it, but HP puts a plastic shell with their logo on it over a Canon engine.

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I thought Xerox invented the laser printer? And Canon don't seem to do laser printers compatible for Macs.

10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I have a mono laser Brother MFC that works great for me. It prints, copies, scans and faxes. I think I may be able to initiate faxing from my Mac too. It seems to be efficient with toner usage and I have yet to replace the drum after going through boxes of paper. I would check around for deals. Decide if you need extras such as duplex printing, networking and high capacity paper tray.

I used to do photo printing on Epsons but soon became unsatisfied and frustrated with the results. (ink expense and print longevity) For photo printing I upload prints to the local chain store down the street and get 8x10's for $2 per print. Small prints are ridiculously cheap. For the crappy quality it's just not worth my money to do color photo printing any more.

I found a brand new color ink printer at a garage sale last summer and only use it for the occasional color print job when necessary.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have the HL-2040, bought refurbished on NewEgg for $80.

You do have to replace the toner and drum. But I hadn't needed to yet, and it's been almost a year now.

12. chinarider macrumors regular

Check Ebay - I bought a HP Color Laserjet 2605DN, Refurbished from an authorized dealer, for $25 and $90 shipping (Kinda weird I know)

Love the speed, love the color, love the network capatability. Only thing I hate is the cost of the toner, but got a deal from Ebay on that as well.

Look for a seller/dealer that has ALOT of stock and you should be fine.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a brother HL 2040 hooked up to my Airport Express. It's great! Envelopes and very thin paper tend to curl but not too bad.

I paid $68 at amazon.com. The toner that came with it lasted for well over 1000 sheets of paper. The replacement toner cost about $65 and is supposed to be good for 3000 sheets.