A Letter on Cost vs. Functionality vs. Technology to Our Forum

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 9OOYO, Mar 10, 2011.

1. 9OOYO macrumors regular

I want to start off this thread by saying that I understand that an iPad is not meant to be a laptop. I get that. That doesn't mean that a Macbook doesn't come into the equation when considering my first iPad.

I plan on buying an iPad 2 at 4am easter online. When first planning, I figured 16GB with Wifi was my only option because the cost could justify the purchase. In this case, I would manage it like a well managed DVR. Add and remove things that I'm currently watching etc.....

A friend of mine then planted that I would definitely need the 3G when on trips etc... She even suggested removing the data plan from my iPhone if the cost was an issue and I was considering this. She had an iPad one and said it lost its mega coolness without 3G. I also started to consider my son and digital movies for travel. Using it for movies, games and reading takes me to the 32 GB version possibly? Adding the 3G gets pricing up to $700-$800. This is where the standard Macbook enters the equation.

For $999 I can get a fully functional Macbook!!! Tempting...but I have to remind myself that when on a plane, it will not be as easy to pull out a Macbook pro. The iPad is different (I have to remind myself to remind myself)

Like I said, this is my first iPad and I am so excited. I'm just torn between 16 and 32GB and to 3G or not to 3G. I guess ultimately I can buy the 3G and not activate it right away. Then I would try to live tethered and see how it goes.

I think the biggest reason for getting the 16GB that nobody seems to mention is that technology is so fluid that within 4 years there will be a faster, cooler and far more advanced model. So why max out my spend on the current one? (Note: this doesn't apply for Macbook Pros...you must always max them out due to functionality)

Since I have 4GB on my Dropbox and 10GB on MobileMe I could always pull from them remotely while tethered.

Sorry to blather on about it.

Still confused....

9OOYO

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well if you're using the iPhone through AT&T or Verizon, you can't remove the data plan. That's a requirement unfortunately to using the service of the respective carrier. Yeah there might be ways around it by trying to trick the carrier and all that, but it's pointless imho. Beyond that, it's really hard to suggest a size for someone else when I have really no clue how exactly you'll use it in reality... :(

3. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

That is the truth! I didn't realize I'd have to remove the data. What's the most cost effective and best way to do this AT&T deal? I have iPhone 3 so I think I'm due for an upgrade.

Advice? Lost the iPhone all together and carry a man purse with iPad at all times???? LOL

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well the only thing I can offer is what I'm planning to do myself. I still have an iPhone 3GS with my Unlimited Data which I never plan on losing. My phone is also jailbroken and I use the App MyWi which is available through Cydia for around $20. This allows my iPhone to serve as the hotspot for my iPad which is only wifi.

I don't use this tethering option hardly at all to be honest. I simply do any remote access 99% of the time on the iPhone. But the connection is there for my iPad if I need it. This of course requires it jailbroken as I mentioned which to some is not something they want to look into, which is understandable. I've never had an issue with it and will always do it personally.

As to size, I use Air Video on my iPad. This allows me to keep all my videos on my computer with the exception of a couple that I want for when I'm out and about. But when I'm home, I have full access to all my 20GB+ of movies and they stream wirelessly to my device. It works beautifully. It even converts them on the fly if they're not 'iPad-ready'.

I'm getting the iPad 2 16gb Wifi model (if that wasn't already obvious). :D My current iPad is going to my father most likely as a gift...

5. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

The iPad definitely does not lose any "cool factor" not being on 3G. I have a wifi model myself and this just doesn't make any sense. I use it at home, on wifi, all the time. That's pretty much the only place I use it. Do you go on trips so often where you will be out of wifi for long periods of time that 3G is a necessity? You have to consider that. Me, 3G would be neat to have, but almost a total waste. I would have used it for one week in the year that I've owned this iPad - on vacation last year, and only when I felt the wifi was lacking (which it was, on occasion.) If I traveled for business a lot, it might be a concern.

Honestly, if you have the extra money, it sounds like you should just get the 3G iPad for your own peace of mind. It's not like you will be paying for the service when you don't use it. You only pay when you decide to, then you can cancel after that.

As for the Macbook vs. iPad issue, there's really nothing there. Totally different products. I know if I had, say, a Macbook Air, I might want to use it like an iPad, but I wouldn't. It would not be in my lap or next to me all the time. I use it during commercial breaks to look things up, check email, etc. The Macbook's one advantage to me is the physical keyboard, which I do miss on the iPad from time to time. If I want to write, however, I head to my iMac. For everything else (besides Photoshop/Illustrator/iTunes/etc.,) it's iPad.

6. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

I have the 3G iPhone with unlimited as well...and I'm not sure I want to lose that. I guess buying another plan would delete the unlimited for me.

The way you're working it makes sense. And to be honest, with 10GB of space on Mobile Me it kind of finally justifies me paying for it. So far I've been disappointed with their integration of MobileMe (hoping for mega calendar functionality etc....maybe the update rumors next month will pay off). This way, on the road I could use wifi in hotels to add and dump stuff.

Plus the cost would be so much better and I could upgrade in 3 years without feeling like I wasted loot. I really want to jailbreak my iPhone 3 but am afraid!! Am somewhat tech savvy so if you hint hint, I would hint hint.

7. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

Great points and I tend to agree. Right now my Macbook Pro 17" is my email check, lap item and night and I can't wait to replace it with my iPad. Thinking of using a Macbook (regular) for this use is a turn off too. Macbook Pro is the king for music recording, video editing etc... but I dislike having a laptop out and vulnerable to the environment. Esp since its my family photos and video computer.

8. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

The one thing I don't think was mentioned either with the 3G version is the addition of GPS. I'm guessing it's not too much an issue since you have an iPhone but it's worth pointing out at least. Some people really want that feature on their iPad, personally I don't need it.

As to the jailbreak, I'd look in the hacking section of the iPhone area (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105) and do some research on Google for it depending on which version you are running of iOS. I personally used Greenpois0n on my 4.2.1 3GS.