A level results, UK etc?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewGenAdam, Aug 14, 2009.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Firstly, sorry to those in my boat who I may just have reminded, and plunged back into the fear and dread of anticipating these impending results.

Secondly, is anybody here awaiting the rather important A level results?
    I'm in the UK (England), and basically they determine if you get to go to university ("school, college") or not.
    Or perhaps anybody in this position elsewhere?
    The wait is ghastly, and protracted over >2 months...
    But it comes to an end next Thursday, and I'm not sure if that's good.

To all similarly suffering, or even unconcerned,
    all the best ^^ and, as I keep telling myself, worrying won't help.
    I realise not everyone may be as concerned; I envy you!!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You will be fine. I remember when I got mine. Scariest day of my life. Good news was that I received a letter from my University on the morning of my results so I knew I did all right (In fact I over achieved them). Other people checked the UCAS website and saw they had been accepted.

Good luck, you will enjoy university. Best three years of my life;)

3. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I **** myself and I far exceeded my expectations and cruised to Uni, and I'm currently loving it.

What you doing next year?

4. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reassurance and support, and clearly well done to both of you!

I'll probably awake at 6am, thinking I've heard the letter box, and then check online. SCARY! And terrifying that I can't even exceed my offer.

Off to do economics; certainly exciting time to study it!

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

If you check UCAS online at just past midnight it will say whether you've fulfilled your offer I seem to remember.

Oh, and if you don't make the offer by a grade or two - PHONE THE UNI. There's a good chance they will let you in anyway.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I'm waiting for GCSE results, and an AS, which are very late. Less than a week later, I'm back in school :(

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'll add my own reassurance; despite doing an A Level exam completely drunk I managed to get an A in it (Britain & American comparative module in Politics FYI), so I think that goes to show just how easy they really are. I actually thought GCSEs were much, much more demanding than A Levels because there were so many of them. As long as you did a little bit of work for your exams, you'll pull through just fine. If you did well in your AS levels I remember that taking another level of pressure off. :)
    And as others have said, make sure you check the UCAS website at about 4-6am and it will say whether your offer was accepted so you don't have to wait for your actual results. You're doing a good thing going straight to university; I've got plenty of friends who took a year or two out only to find it difficult to get back into education afterwards.
    It's hard to be in the position of waiting for results, but you'll love university. Suddenly your network of friends goes from local, or perhaps national, to knowing people from every corner of the world. It's brilliant. A great learning experience, both in and out of class.

Good luck!

8. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Waaa I can check online?
    I can just envisage myself hunched over my mac, a la Apple Keynote live Engadget report, tapping F5 on UCAS.com until the wee hours and revelation...
    And I remember how close GCSEs are to term!! Good luck with all that; I can reassure here; you'll be fine! It's nice to have the AS too.

@Ryan
    maybe I'll also be able to look back on my A levels and think oh! what was all the fuss about??
    But for now it's just sleepless nights remembering EVERYTHING I did wrong!
    I exaggerate; it's bearable, I suppose.
    Haha, anyway, uni should be pretty cool

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

lol, Thanks :) Once you get your A2 results, you'll be either: over ecstatic, b, suicidal :/

Also, if you crash the UCAS site... I know who the blame lol :p

10. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

OMG I'm the former: got in!! SO relieved
    tx MR for your support x

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Good luck to all who are recieving your results today. Remember, if you didn't get the grades you needed, it's not the end of the world. :)

12. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Congratulations! :D

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Breaking news on the BBC: "Record 26.7% of A-level entries for England, Wales and N Ireland awarded A grades."

I can't quite see that a full 1/4 of students are budding geniuses :confused:

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I, for one, welcome our new boffin overlords. :eek: :D

(Cue Bernard Whatisname from Maggies cabinet appearing on the news saying that exams are getting easier.)

15. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

*sigh* the degradation of the merits begins. But hey, AAA means 26.7/100 x 26.7/100 x 26.7/100 = 2%... Multiple ones mean more perhaps ah well.

16. Marcus263 macrumors regular

There really is no point worrying about it. Easier said than done, I know but it's only the beginning of this routine for a lot of you guys that are going to university. You see when you are at university, you have these test every 3 to six months, and they determine your overall grade and also your progression into the following year. While a lot of people say first year grades do not matter, it's not true, purely because if you are on a borderline First Class, Upper-Second (2:1), your first year grades are used to determine the average and your ultimate grade.

To take your mind off, I would suggest getting rapidly acquainted with your modules and course content, this way when you finally go to university you can focus on having a good time.

17. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Not true at all Universities though.

18. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Exactly. Not at mine - the result is only based off the second and third year work. In saying that though, it's better to work in first year so you don't just get hit with a crap load of work in second year.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I got myself an unconditional offer so it didn't matter what college grades I got, but I've never been one to worry about that kind of thing. As teh wise BoyBach said - it doesn't mean the end of the world if you didn't get the results you expected. :)
    But good luck all! My sisters GCSE results are in soon but shes off on holiday. She's sweating it too :D.

20. Domanic macrumors regular

University Centre Hastings ain't gunna know what hit it...

21. ethical macrumors 68000

I'm going to medical school :eek:!! I was lazy all of the AS year so got crap results this time last year... but worked my arse off for the exams just taken and got what i need! the previous 24 hours have been the scariest of my life so far!

Well done to everyone who has got what they needed! For those who didnt, I was preparing myself for the worst, and came to realise that there is so much other stuff to do out there, so dont be disheartened. For those of you who are yet to find out...(GCSEs) good luck!!

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I got into the university of york :D

I'm doing computer systems and software engineering, I can't wait :D :D :D

23. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Congrats everyone who's got their places!! Must be pleased ^^

All the best with clearing, retakes, year outs, or rethinks for you if you didn't!