Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilkenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
This just started happening. I'm a member of a music forum. There is a thread there where people post links to youtube videos. I go to the link. When I want to go back to the forum, I hit the red dot in the upper left hand corner and I'm back. It doesn't do that anymore. I lose Safari. I have to go back to Safari to get back to the forum. The back arrow doesn't help either. This started after I downloaded a Safari software update yesterday.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you mean the red dot on the top left, like shown in the below screenshot?
If so, that is the "CLOSE WINDOW" button, not the "go back" button. It does however not QUIT an application like Safari, it only closes the window it resides on, even when several tabs are open (do you use tabs?).
Anyway, what Mac OS X and Safari version do you use?

Attachments

• reddotquestionmark.png
    reddotquestionmark.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 112

pilkenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Do you mean the red dot on the top left, like shown in the below screenshot?
If so, that is the "CLOSE WINDOW" button, not the "go back" button. It does however not QUIT an application like Safari, it only closes the window it resides on, even when several tabs are open (do you use tabs?).
Anyway, what Mac OS X and Safari version do you use?

I have a late 2009 Mac. Lion. OSX 10.7.4.

It used to when I went to the link, the, the tab would be over the forum link. When I quit the application, the forum link underneath was still there. It's not there anymore. It won't let me run more than one window at a time.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I have a late 2009 Mac. Lion. OSX 10.7.4.

It used to when I went to the link, the, the tab would be over the forum link. When I quit the application, the forum link underneath was still there. It's not there anymore. It won't let me run more than one window at a time.

You CLOSED a window of that application, you did not QUIT the application.
CLOSING and QUITTING are tow different things, CLOSING a window or tab does not quit an application, but QUITTING an application closes all windows and tabs.

Maybe your settings are changed. Look into Preferences (CMD+,) while in Safari and go to the TABS section, to see, if new links open in new tabs and not new windows.
Or is that still the case, that when you click a link, it opens an entirely new window without any other tabs in that window?
What about opening a link in a new tab instead via CMD+clicking link or right-clicking > Open in new tab?

pilkenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I was able to do this via command-N. This is what used to happen when I clicked the youtube link. The link is over the forum link. When I red dot youtube, the forum link is still there. Now when I click the youtube link, the forum link is not there anymore.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 10.58.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 10.58.19 AM.png
    698.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

pilkenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Now I notice in my Apple icon, the empty cache option is gone. I'm still thinking it has something to do with the Safari software update.

----------

I was able to do this via command-N. This is what used to happen when I clicked the youtube link. The link is over the forum link. When I red dot youtube, the forum link is still there. Now when I click the youtube link, the forum link is not there anymore.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Same thing happens here too. When I enlarge the picture, it won't let go back to this thread. Safari quits altogether.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Are you sure this has nothing to do with tabs, as it sounds like tab behaviour, where a link opens in a tab instead of a window, thus closing the window will close all tabs, thus no going back is possible, unless you use the History menu. You could just use the close tab command (CMD+W or the close tab icon on the left of the tab).

Do you know what a tab is?

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Btw, you never told us, what Safari version you use? You probably use Safari 6 now, Safari 5 had a different behaviour.

pilkenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Things work OK in Google chrome. It's Safari that's causing problems.

----------

I have Safari 6.

I never had this problem or ever had to do anything special until I updated Safari yesterday.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Your updated Safari has different settings than you had set in the older version. Visit Safari Preferences, as suggested above, and set things the way you want them in this new version.

This is normal. Software updates come with default settings. They don't "read" your old settings and duplicate them.

pilkenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
It's like chrome now.

The links are at the bottom of the gray bar on the top of your screen. Just click the one you want, and you're back. Pretty simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.