A list of confirmed working bluetooth adapters for the iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by inspirations365, Jan 4, 2009.

1. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Hello again,

I made a post a couple of weeks back regarding the Motorola iPod Bluetooth adapter.

We all know that doesn't work with the 2G Touch, but it WILL work with the first generation.

I've done some searching and found that the Sony TMR-BT8IP Bluetooth adapter WILL work for BOTH generations of the Touch.

Does anyone know of any other bluetooth adapters that will work with either of the Touches? If so, post here for reference. This list will most surely help someone out of luck with the Motorola adapter (such as myself) by providing a good list of alternatives.

2. dlstc macrumors newbie

I am currently using the wireless Jaybird headphones with bluetooth adapter for the iPod. I have an iPod Touch 2g. Jaybird also sells a universal bluetooth adapter for the ipod that is supposed to work with the ipod and other devices.

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/bluetooth-stereo-headphones-store.php

I pair my headphones with my iPod Touch and my Motorola Razr V3m. I listen to music and when a call comes in, the music automatically pauses, and switches over to the call. When the call has ended (other person hangs up), the music starts back up where it was paused. And I don't have to touch a single button - it's all automatic!

Some people have complained about the music cutting out. I have found that once the power for the iPod (which powers the adapter) or the headphones (also rechargable) gets low, there is some cutting out.

But I love being wireless - not having to be careful of a wire, especially when taking my coat on or off, and being able to walk around in my kitchen, doing laundry, getting up from my computer etc. without putting my iPod in my pocket.

Hope this helps,
    Diana

3. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a question. Is your JayBird headset a JB-100 or JB-200i?

For anyone wondering, both the Sony and JayBird adapters can be found on Amazon for less than $50.

4. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

that sounds pretty cool. Would there be a way to tether the phone and ipod together using some kind of bluetooth adapter so you can use your phones internet on the ipod? Kind of like using the phone s the router.

5. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I decided to take a closer look into the JayBird adapter.

JayBird's newest models, the JB-200i and JB-200im are confirmed to work with both generations of the ipod Touch. However, I decided to question them on their older model, the JB-100.

Here's the transcript:
    [Javier] Hello, my name is Javier, how may I help you?

[Visitor] Hello, I'm *bleep* I have a question about the JB-100 wireless headset. Is it compatible with the ipod Touch 2nd generation? This is mainly concerning the bluetooth receiver.

[Javier] yes, the JB-100 is compatible with the iTouch. You´ll need the iPod adapter plugged into the bottom of the iTouch. We recommend our bundle offer JB-100i.

[Visitor] And you are certain that the receiver is compatible with the Second Generation ipod Touch?

[Javier] Yes, we believe that the JB-100 will pair with the iPod touch with no problem. As a guarantee, remember that we have a 30 day return policy for all of our JayBird orders made through our online store

[Visitor] Okay, thank you very much Javier!

So, take that for what you will. Pairing isn't an issue, but we dno not have confirmation as to where the audio will output. Unfortunately JayBird doesn't offer a standalone receiver, so I cannot order one from them and test this, even though this seems like the closest thing to my Motorola receiver.

6. speighty macrumors newbie

I know that the Sony TMR-BT8IP works with 2nd gen ipod touch but does it definately work with the 32gb version as i have heard some people say it doesnt.

7. dlstc macrumors newbie

I have the JayBird 200i which came with the iPod specific adapter.

Diana

8. dlstc macrumors newbie

There is a program for Widnows Mobile smartphones with wifi called WMWifiRouter, which allows you to wirelessly tether the iPod Touch with such phones, with no bluetooth or other adapter required.

Also, there is a battery operated, pocket sized router which you can plug in a USB aircard and carry your wifi hotspot with you wherever you go. Its charge lasts 2 hours. It costs about $170. An air card is as little as 99 cents, but the unlimited data plans are about $60 per month.

HTH,
    Diana

9. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

That program sounds great but it's European (19.99 Euros) and has the creepy warning that it is made "for windows mobile SmartPhones" which makes me not want to try to put it on my iTouch. Will it work with my American set up? Have you tried it?

10. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

So I finally got a chance to chat with JayBird again.

I have proper confirmation that the JB-100i bluetooth adapter will work properly for the second generation touch. Audio will output through the headset like it's supposed to.

11. tst4eko macrumors newbie

I have the 32gb touch & have tried 2 of those Sony adaptors & both of them did not work. Cannot get it to pair with my headphones at all. All it would do is bring up the playlists in my touch whenever I pushed the power button on it. I thought I might of had a defective touch. Doesn't look that way now.

12. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you saying that it just might not work with the 32GB version? I wonder why that would be.

13. speighty macrumors newbie

I can confirm that the sony dongle works with the 32gb, mine came this morning and its great.

14. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

After looking at the very positive reviews for the JVC Aat100btc Ipod Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter, I bought one from Beach Audio and it will be delivered by Wednesday next week and I will report on how it works. I am wanting to use a Jabra headset which they claim can be used with two devices simultaneously (I have the iTouch and a cell phone...thanks to local telephone company bundling).

15. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

That's the same reason I ordered the JayBird adapter. The motorola allowed me to use my ipod and cell phone together and the JayBird proposes to do the same. I will report back when it arrives on Tuesday.

16. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

so, what was the Jay Bird adaptor like? Was it part of a headset and adaptor combo or was it separate? What kind of headphones did you get? It would be neat if someone would package all these things together but...that is asking too much, right? :)

17. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Success!

I ordered the adapter separately, but you can order the JayBird headphones with the adapter in a bundle at the link posted above.

So I finally got my JayBird adapter (JB-100i model) in the mail today. It works idential to my Motorola adapter in that I can also pair it with my phone and touch (2g) simultaneously with no problems.

HOWEVER, the mic in my bluetooth headset does not register with the touch. So I still cannot use applications such as Midomi or Shazam (which is half the reason I've gone through all this trouble, but hey, at least i'm wireless!).

So for anyone wondering, the JayBird IPOD (make sure it's the ipod adapter. They sell another kind) bluetooth adapters, both the 100i and 200i models will work correctly with both generations of the Touch.

Glad that's settled. Now I need some mic earbuds just in case....oh man.

18. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Well, I got the Jabra headphones and the JVC transmitter and I put them all together with my Nokia cell phone. To make a long story short, I did get them all to work together, it wasn't the easiest thing I ever did but I did do it.

Unfortunately, that set up totally fouled up the communication between my iTouch and any wi-fi network I wanted to use. I simply could not hook up and stay hooked up to use it without the Jabra headphones. I think that the Jabra connection made the iTouch totally dependent on the headphones, and the wi-fi connections only would talk with the Jabra. Alas.

I could probably have gotten to the bottom of it all BUT the big question is: how much time is it worth? The downside to this wireless headset idea is: 1) the headset was heavy and would slide down my head as I had it on (if I were to exercise with it I can just imagine getting fed up with it within 10 minutes), 2) the connection is not perfect--words are dropped and such, 3) you have all this gear to haul around and put together before you start your activities, 4) I was scared that I would have to pair all that stuff every time I wanted to put it all together...I did have that problem when I was testing it all, I had to re-pair things and that was a pain, 5) you have to learn how to use it efficiently, that is when you are on a treadmill and a call comes in you have to know how and where to tap to put it on and put it off and resume and...

The bottom line is that it was just so much trouble for so little payoff as far as I am concerned. I am going to send the Jabra headset back and the JVC transmitter, too. If I really want to use my phone with my iTouch, I will just put my phone in my pocket and set it on vibrate so I can answer it when I am treading. I like the earbuds that come with the iTouch anyway.

So, there is my tale. You may just love the idea, and bless your heart if you have the will and patience to make it all work together. It will all work together, too, if you want to invest the time. I just find it tedious and far too much trouble.

19. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Interesting thread. Good info here.
    I just wonder how the sound quality is with those bluetooth headphones?

20. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

It was just fine. The sound was good.

HOWEVER....HERE IS A BIG WARNING... Be careful if you want to go down the road I did. I bought my Jabra headset from DBROTH through Amazon.com. I just found out that they will not accept returns if the package has been opened, AND if the package has not been opened they will accept returns with a 30% restocking fee. In other words, phffffft. So, I will not be buying from DBROTH again, and be careful before you do, too. Know that is what you want first and be prepared. I will be selling the Jabra headset over e-Bay now and hope I can recoup some of my loot.

Bummer.:mad:

21. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I know with my s9 bt headphones from Motorola, the quality is BETTER than the earbuds because they have much better bass capability. The ONLY single minute "gripe" I have about the headset is the minor lag you get, the fraction of a second. This of course would only affect watching videos or perhaps a music-dependent game or something. Again, it's very minor, but noticeable if you're watching a video.