Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kewlio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm sorry if this has already been posted before, i did do a search. From reading the forums it seems that some iphones have some defects with them and need to be taken back. Before I buy one, i wanted to have a list of the common defects so I can check my iphone at the store to make sure that mine is perfect :). I believe this list will be useful to others as well. From reading the forums, here are the ones that I found. If you know of one that is not in this list, post it and I'll add it to this post. thanks. :apple:

1. yellow screen (mixed)
2. dead pixels
3. loose buttons
4. speaker issues
5. dust in screen

Hello77

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
Hi,

I know it's a bit late to add something here as I'm sure you have your new iphone by now. But thought it may help others...

I am one of the unluckiest iPhone owners and Apple had to replace my iPhone 3 times and still has cosmetic defects.

I had the following cosmetic defects:
1) light leakage between rubber seal and chrome bezel
2) marks/scratches near the speakers
3) dead pixels

and with my current 3rd replacement iPhone:
1) scratches on the plastic area surrounding the camera which is seal with clear plastic
2) dent on the back
3) a small bump
4) a small black mark that can't be cleaned or removed
5) marks on the ring/silent button

See the attached photos....

I'm sorry if this has already been posted before, i did do a search. From reading the forums it seems that some iphones have some defects with them and need to be taken back. Before I buy one, i wanted to have a list of the common defects so I can check my iphone at the store to make sure that mine is perfect :). I believe this list will be useful to others as well. From reading the forums, here are the ones that I found. If you know of one that is not in this list, post it and I'll add it to this post. thanks. :apple:

1. yellow screen (mixed)
2. dead pixels
3. loose buttons
4. speaker issues
5. dust in screen

Attachments

• DSC00440.JPG
    DSC00440.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC00444.JPG
    DSC00444.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 347

hrag525

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
hey man i feel ya

hey man i feel ya. i have the backlight coming through my sides. i had some weird scratches on mine. i even had mine crack without droping it once. i take care of my phone and i know some ppl might say it had to have happened somehow but i dunno how. i got it replaced and im on my second black 16 3g. i think they took a very poor step into making these iphones. dont get it me wrong i love my phone.:apple:

im just saying they could have made things ALOT better, since its probably or close to being the best phone out there.:(

Woogaloo

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
7) Insanely picky users

Disagree...

For the amount you pay for the phone, you don't want something sub par. You don't buy a brand new car with minor exterior and interior problems do you? Or an iMac that had a loose hinge?

cgentry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Disagree...

For the amount you pay for the phone, you don't want something sub par. You don't buy a brand new car with minor exterior and interior problems do you? Or an iMac that had a loose hinge?
Agreed.
The iPhone 3G, while a great phone, wasn't put together as well as other Apple products, in my opinion. Too many "minor" defects to make it an outstanding Apple product... Yet.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
That's right.

How dare we want a phone with no physical and limited operation defects after paying $400 for it.

The nerve of us.

I agree, if the screen or buttons dont work, by all means take it back, but come on...taking the device back because the backlight shines through the BACK of the phone? Or because of a small scratch on the side of the mute button?

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
my "copy & paste feature" is defective, it doesnt work at all!:p
These jokes got old a while ago...

---

My only physical defect with the phone is that the finish on the upper left corner has lost it's shine. This is only because of the way I slid it into my pocket, so Apple would tell me to eff off since it's my fault. :p

I am impressed with the quality of the iPhone/iPhone 3G though. Imagine if LG or Samsung made this phone. The screen would be cheap plastic, it would scratch easily, the buttons on the device wouldn't have the solid feel the iPhone's does when pressed, the seems all over the phone would creak and be uneven, etc. I played with my friend's LG Vu today...the quality of materials and build doesn't even compare. It's the little details that make it Apple's product.
Having a grain of dust under the screen or a light leak on the front of the phone is a very small anomaly for the iPhone. As for the scuff/black mark, that would be an issue caused by the user. If they were there when purchased, it should have been exchanged right then and there.

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
7) Insanely picky users

8) Insanely asinine posters...

We all have every right to demand that these $300 devices are cosmetically and functionally perfect...

... reliantj, however, may need to step back, relax, and have a drink!

UCLAkers

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
anybody else experiencing an increase in the echo/static sounds when you're talking on the phone when it loses 3G and goes straight to EDGE with full reception? actually, nevermind losing 3G. say it's 3G is completely turned off. anyone experiencing echo/static when talking to someone? again, it seems to happen under what appears to be full EDGE reception.

I'm not one to justify an exchange of an iphone cause of one spec of dust under the screen or anything like that, but does this warrant an exchange? would it even help or is that just the quality of EDGE in certain spots in LA after 3G got significantly better after the 2.1 firmware update? oh and btw, the initial 2 week period after original purchase date is over haha (guess that means refurb'd replacement for me?).

thanks for any help!!

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I guess there are some people among us that have a lot of free time to continuously visit Apple store for exchange.

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I disagree, if buy something new and expensive you expect that it will be brand new and not be damaged before you have even touched it.

exactly. especially from apple.
Apple is surprisingly the only company I've ever had trouble with in regards to QA. Their stuff kicks butt but gosh, there are too many little things that slip by. Thank goodness for a fairly lenient exchange policy.

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
You know the really really funny thing is that people always quote the "you wouldn't buy a car with cosmetic defects inside and out would you" which is funny as hell because YES YES YOU WOULD AND DO. I used to work for Ford, did you know that we averaged NO car left the lot with less than 80 defects? If you bothered to go over your cars like you're going over your iphones (cars which you pay THOUSANDS MORE for) you would notice TONS of "defects" on these far more expensive purchases. Check out the hub caps, you'll see scratches. Go UNDER the car with a magnifying lens and bright light, scratches everywhere. Open the engine and look around, especially at the ends of the wires where the wrapping won't be fully connected on every wire there. Open the door sit down take out the magnifying glass and start counting the stitches, you think they're all there? HA. Like one of the other posters said, if there's genuine issues, dead pixels, non functional/falling off buttons, screen not responding, by all means take it back. But if you think you pay $200 and demand a phone with an almost non noticeable scratch on the back of a mute button then get a life. Your purchase is not and should not be that perfect or you'd pay as much as a car for the phone and if you wanted a perfect car, it may not even be possible given the number of parts.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I agree, if the screen or buttons dont work, by all means take it back, but come on...taking the device back because the backlight shines through the BACK of the phone? Or because of a small scratch on the side of the mute button?
Look.

I am not saying one SHOULD take it back for a small scratch on a button.

The only reason I posted here is because I am tired of reading posts that make it sound like we don't have the right or shouldn't take it back just for a small scratch on a button.

I paid full price for my phone. $400.

If I want to take it back for light in the back or a scratch, then I shouldn't be disparaged for it.

(Of course, I wouldn't due to the horror stories about people taking them back and getting even worse phones the 2nd time, but that is a different story all together.)

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
You know the really really funny thing is that people always quote the "you wouldn't buy a car with cosmetic defects inside and out would you" which is funny as hell because YES YES YOU WOULD AND DO. I used to work for Ford, did you know that we averaged NO car left the lot with less than 80 defects? If you bothered to go over your cars like you're going over your iphones (cars which you pay THOUSANDS MORE for) you would notice TONS of "defects" on these far more expensive purchases. Check out the hub caps, you'll see scratches. Go UNDER the car with a magnifying lens and bright light, scratches everywhere. Open the engine and look around, especially at the ends of the wires where the wrapping won't be fully connected on every wire there. Open the door sit down take out the magnifying glass and start counting the stitches, you think they're all there? HA. Like one of the other posters said, if there's genuine issues, dead pixels, non functional/falling off buttons, screen not responding, by all means take it back. But if you think you pay $200 and demand a phone with an almost non noticeable scratch on the back of a mute button then get a life. Your purchase is not and should not be that perfect or you'd pay as much as a car for the phone and if you wanted a perfect car, it may not even be possible given the number of parts.

Agreed, I got my white 3g and i had what looked like a small black dot from a permanent marker, was kind of upset but what would the apple rep said if i told him i wanted another because of the little mark! i figured if thats the only defect with this phone then i probably got a good one :p

jcapz

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
mini crack looking marks on the bottom?

Question...has anyone noticed any minor hairline cracks on the bottom of the phone where the chrome meets the very thin plastic by the charger area? I have no other defects but that and its not like I can see it from just looking at it quickly but noticed it when the sun hit that area and got a little scared that these hairline looking cracks may turn into more major cracks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.