Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Euphrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
So on Tuesday 6/23, I went to my local AT&T store and pre-ordered an Iphone from the rep there. But the thing is I did it with a debit card, seeing as how I only have a debit card and don't have any credit cards it was my only choice. The rep said it went through and even on the online bank record it shows that the money is being reserved for the phone. But I've read a couple of posts about orders getting canceled when they are about to ship it because they see it's through a debit card. Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter? Any advice would be awesome, thank you!

Euphrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Ok here's a question that might be easier. Has anyone gone into an AT&T store after launch and placed a pre-order for an Iphone with a debit card, and has had their phone shipped to them???

Euphrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
So should if my card does allow it to be charged as credit, will it go through as per usual?

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
So should if my card does allow it to be charged as credit, will it go through as per usual?

Well, you charged it as debit. It wont just automatically charge as credit. You need to either A. Enter no pin NO. and it will ask you credit or debit, or B. tell the cashier to charge as credit.

With credit they get the funds right away. But it will still process as debit via bank.

Euphrates

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah well it definitely charged as debit, I just checked my online statement again. Hmmm, I really hope AT&T isn't dumb and decides to cancel my order just because I used debit. I'm really worried at this point.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
If you have the Mastercard or Visa logo's

you should be fine. I don't have any Credit cards I only use my bank card. I ordered from both Apple and AT&T both went though fine. though both held my money released it. then shipped the phones and I had the phones before they got there money.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
The only way a retailer can process a debit card as a debit transaction is with the use of a 4 digit PIN code. If you did not enter in your PIN code then it was processed as a credit transaction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.