A Little Advice/Help Please

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TonyWatt, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TonyWatt macrumors newbie

My wife's laptop is on it's way out, and was thinking of getting her an iPad3/4 with keyboard as a replacement.

The problem is, she makes a lot of greeting cards, and I was wondering if it's possible to transfer 18gb worth of pictures from her laptop to the iPad?

If so, is there an app out there for picture resizing, colouring etc?

Any help would be appreciated

2. Night Spring, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Obviously, in order to hold 18 GB of photos, you'll need to get at least a 32 GB iPad. But transferring the pictures should be easy enough. Just make sure you keep a backup of those pictures somewhere else, the iPad should never be the only copy of your media.

Also, does your wife want to print out her cards? If so, you'll need an AirPrint compatible printer. There are some workarounds, but they either require anither computer, or an adapter that you have to buy.

Yes, there are many photo editing apps, but whether or not your wife will like working with them? That's the question. There's an iPad apps subforum at macrumors, and appshopper.com is a great place to research apps.

But the point is, working with files on the iPad is a very different process than working with them on a laptop. You have to rethink your entire workflow. Some people get used to this, while others never do. I think going with the iPad thinking it can replace your laptop is a mistake. Mostly, it's complimentary to a computer. Some people can make an iPad their only mobile device, and keep a desktop but get rid of their laptop. Others, like me, end up keeping all -- desktop, laptop and iPad. Of the three, the iPad is the one I use most often, but for some tasks, I still need my desktop and laptop.

3. LeiLei macrumors newbie

I agree, thinking an iPad can completely and seamlessly replace a laptop isn't the best idea. I love my iPad very much but I'd really be lost without my laptop. I think for greeting card editing I'd personally not be happy with the smaller sized screen of the iPad, I always feel like I need more visual workspace.

4. Craigjtmp macrumors newbie

I agree, iPad not laptop replacement

I agree, an iPad is a great Macbook Pro addition, but not a replacement. If one is doing professional graphics or video, I would highly recommend doing most of the work on a Macbook Pro, iMac or Mac Pro; the iPad can be a good tool to accompany those, especially when mobile.

Also, storing all your pics only on the iPad is a mistake. It should be in iPhoto library on desktop, merged onto iPad, and also backed up to iCloud and Time Machine.

5. TonyWatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for advice guys.
    I have a backup of her pics on an external drive, and back them up regularly. I also have an iMac and am thinking about getting an AirPrint printer.

Think maybe I'll go for a replacement laptop instead