A little advice - im new to this

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RolledUp20s, Jan 27, 2012.

1. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

Longtime iPhone user, 1st time jailbraker.

So, i have an iPhone 4S 5.01, i backed up to itunes & ran then ran the Absinthe version 2 jailbrake.

My slight concern is this, do i now just carry on letting my iphone sync with itunes? Or is that a no no?

When ios 5.02 comes out, can i just plug in iphone and update firmware? Will that erase jailbrake and restore automatically, or is there more? (i dont meen restore the JB...i know that wouldnt work)

The other question is when the iphone 5 comes out, if my 4S is still jailbroken whats the best thing to do before selling it? In the past ive done a full restore and sold it 'as new'.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I found this guide, easy as this??

How To Backup Your Jailbroken iPhone Apps...
    *One downside to jailbreaking is that you lose your jailbroken apps whenever you upgrade to the next version of the iPhone's firmware.

If you like to stay up to date on Apple's updates and keep your jailbroken data saved, there's a new, easy-to-use app that will back up and restore everything for you.

Download xBackup from the Cydia store for $1.50 to get started. When you're ready to update iPhone, you can perform a backup by launching the app and tapping "Backup."

Next, plug your iPhone into your computer and sync with iTunes as normal. xBackup will work in the background and store your jailbroken apps in a separate folder on your computer.

After you restore and update your phone as normal, you can reinstall xBackup from Cydia, open it, and tap "Restore." You'll be prompted to sync with iTunes again. Afterwards, all your jailbroken apps will be back on your phone.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com...sy-to-use-app-iphone-jailbroken#ixzz1kgk4Wkl2

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Once jailbroken, you can treat your phone just like it was before EXCEPT upgrading iOS. DO NOT upgrade iOS or do a restore to factory settings.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

THIS

you can do everything in iTunes the same

never update iOS without knowing a new jailbreak is out, its even safe to not update iTunes versions unless the devs confirms its ok

4. brayhite macrumors 6502a

What's the difference between this and the Time Machine feature in Springtomize 2?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

hey you changed your avatar

funny i never knew what the movie cover was or that it even was a movie untill the other day at my buddies i seen it on his netflix as he was flipping through all the movies

7. RolledUp20s, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the tips.

What do you do though when it comes to selling the iphone?

So, you cant just update to ios 5.2 when its released? I read that this will restore your iphone & remove the jailbrake?
    Hmmm.
    :confused:

..i just read through that guide. ...so by plugging iphone back into itunes and selecting restore - that puts the iphone back to original state yes? ....please be that simple :)

8. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Yes, it is that simple. A restore (as a new phone) will completely remove any trace of the jailbreak. Sync with iTunes afterwards. A restore from backup also removes it, but some tweaks may survive.

Of course, on a 4S once you do this you are likely to have upgraded the firmware to a non-jailbreakable one.

9. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think apple will fix the loop hole then? ..so no more jailbrakes on the iphone5?

10. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

I hear that it is already fixed in the betas. So yes, do not upgrade your 4S to 5.1 or 5.0.2. It is possible that other holes will be found in later versions of the firmware, but given the difficulties of jailbreaking 5.0.1 I would not bet on it.

The iPhone 4 (without S) is much easier to jailbreak, it is likely that holes will be found in newer versions of iOS - and tethered jailbreaks are guaranteed by the limera1n bootrom exploit. The 4S is a lot harder, not only do they need a vulnerability to jailbreak it, they also need another vulnerability to get the jailbreak onto the phone.

11. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Isn't the time machine feature in springtomize 2 only for backing up your springtomize preference settings? Kind of like profiles. I'm pretty sure it isn't a backup solution for all your jb apps.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

lol i changed it a while ago that ones my Dog. I'm a fan of the movie it's kind of different. However I like INK in Netflix allot better.