A little advice please? :)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mushed, Feb 29, 2012.

1. mushed macrumors member

I recently had my iphone 4 stolen while away, mobile me was obviously no help what so ever in trying to get it back (obviously I know it's not exclusively intended for that use but still). Any way, apart from the obvious (insurance, passcode, mobile me(had all of them apart from insurance)) is there any other ways of 'protecting' the phone in the data sense? So tomorrow I'm going to part with £600 for a new iPhone (and however much p/m it'll cost to insure it) (the phone I'm using atm is increasing causing problems!) Any advice would be great, thanks. :)

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

iPhone has a feature where it can wipe the phone after a number of incorrect passcode attempts. Do you know if this was set? This is a good way of ensuring that your data doesn't get into the wrong hands if your phone is stolen.

Make sure you enable this feature on your new phone.

Assuming you did have a passcode set up, it's very likely that the new 'owner' of your stolen iPhone would have set it up as new, thus erasing all of your existing data - so no point in worrying about that now.

Cheers,

RTP.

3. mushed thread starter macrumors member

Um, I had a passcode set, I don't know about the passcode wrong attempts wipe thing, how do you set that up?

(I purchased my iPhone 4s this morning along with insurance so hopefully if something goes wrong it'll have a better outcome!)

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Go to Settings, General, Passcode Lock, Erase Data.

When enabled, all data will be erased from your phone after 10 failed attempts to enter the passcode.

Good luck with your new iPhone :)

RTP.