Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leecronin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Hi all,

First time poster long time admirer.

Just made the leap from PC to Mac (New 13" Black MB with 2g's of Ram) and already my entire life has much improved. It's amazing how smooth work flows on a mac. I'm a screenwriter so the apps I use aint too power hungry, boy is it sweet.

A few questions...

The notebook gets dirty pretty easily (both screen and casing) Whats the best way to safely keep both clean?

I notice that when the battery is fully charged and I run it off the mains (with a few sleeps and wake-ups) that the battery sometimes reads 98 or 99% instead of 100%. Is this normal considering it's plugged in?

I often find my mind wanders for 30 mins of so and obviously the machine goes to sleep. Is there any problems with it constantly going asleep and being woken back up? It could easily happen ten times a day?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Hi all,

First time poster long time admirer.

Just made the leap from PC to Mac (New 13" Black MB with 2g's of Ram) and already my entire life has much improved. It's amazing how smooth work flows on a mac. I'm a screenwriter so the apps I use aint too power hungry, boy is it sweet.

A few questions...

The notebook gets dirty pretty easily (both screen and casing) Whats the best way to safely keep both clean?

I notice that when the battery is fully charged and I run it off the mains (with a few sleeps and wake-ups) that the battery sometimes reads 98 or 99% instead of 100%. Is this normal considering it's plugged in?

I often find my mind wanders for 30 mins of so and obviously the machine goes to sleep. Is there any problems with it constantly going asleep and being woken back up? It could easily happen ten times a day?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Black will show fingerprints and smudges really quickly (but black looks real sharp). Cleaning MB is easy, use a very (as in VERY) mild, really diluted solution of soap and water for cleaning the case, keyboard and trackpad. For the screen clean with a mildly dampened soft cloth AFTER you have dusted the screen to remove anything that would be 'gritty' so that you don't scratch the screen. For dusting the screen use a feather duster or one of the Swiffer products.

As for your battery, readings of between 100 and 95% while plugged in are perfectly normal as the system won't actually charge the computer until it drops below 95%. If you plug your machine into the mains when the charge is less than 95% then the system will charge up to 100%.

Sopranino

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I rarely see my battery level reach 100%, normally just up to 99%.

As for the sleeping, from the Apple Menu, select System Preferences > Energy Saver. Here you'll be able to set different behaviour depending on your power source (mains or battery). My PowerBook sleeps after 3 hours of inactivity when plugged into the mains but it can be set to Never sleep. It's good practice to run your battery down occasionally.

Enjoy your Mac ;)

amc382

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
had similar questions myself:

apparently people leave these machines on for years without problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.